Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Save' Adds to File Size but 'Save As' Doesn't

Morning all,

I have an annoying feature/glitch when saving my families.

If I open a family I have made, which is say 2.7mb for example, and do something very minimal like move a pipe and then hit Ctrl+S to save it the file size jumps up for no real reason to something like 3.3mb. However, without doing anything else to the model at all, if I then do a 'Save As' and call it something different the file size goes back down to 2.7mb again.

Sometimes the file size doubles just by saving rather than 'Saving-As'.

This is quite annoying and monotonous to do for every model I create/amend. Having then to go to the folder, delete the previous file and renaming the save as'd file back again.

Does anyone else experience this? And more importantly is there a fix?

Notes: I always purge my models of unused bits and 'compact file' is always selected in the save dialogue.

Thanks guys.

After the file size jumps up, does a subsequent purge and compact bring the file size back down?

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrotey View Post
      Morning all,

I have an annoying feature/glitch when saving my families.

If I open a family I have made, which is say 2.7mb for example, and do something very minimal like move a pipe and then hit Ctrl+S to save it the file size jumps up for no real reason to something like 3.3mb. However, without doing anything else to the model at all, if I then do a 'Save As' and call it something different the file size goes back down to 2.7mb again.

Sometimes the file size doubles just by saving rather than 'Saving-As'.

This is quite annoying and monotonous to do for every model I create/amend. Having then to go to the folder, delete the previous file and renaming the save as'd file back again.

Does anyone else experience this? And more importantly is there a fix?

Notes: I always purge my models of unused bits and 'compact file' is always selected in the save dialogue.

Thanks guys.
      At this point, I like to consider it a feature of Revit family making. I don't see it going away any time soon.
      Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
      Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Well that's the thing:

- There is nothing left to purge as I do that anyway out of habit
        - You can only select 'compact file' when is the 'save as' dialogue which is always selected for me, and using 'save as' reduces the file size anyway.
        - This only seems to happen when saving using the existing filename
        - The filesize even increases when using Save As and overwriting the same file.

I just tested the last one above and it increased from 2.7mb to 3.9mb! having not done anything! Saving As brought it straight back down again.

You seemingly have to use save as and save as a new name.

Comment

The question is, after file size jumps up, do you actually see a performance impact in Revit? My guess is no, and just like with project files you should abandon efforts to keep file size down, and instead focus on efforts to keep performance up. The two are NOT coupled.
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Have to agree with Gordon, size (At least in this case...) is not really important.

Revit families seem to always be around 3mb min, even if they are a simple detail item. One way to keep size down in your projects is to make families that allow lots of different Types within the same family. Making more complex parametric families increases thier individual size but making new types creates only a very small amount of extra data.

So for example, if you have 10 different, very simple, Air Terminals as separate families at 4mb each thats 40mb in your project.
            One parametric family that allows you to make types for all the different air terminals you need might be larger (Mine is 30mb for one family...I was focussed only on its functionality and have made no attempt to optimise it yet) but adding more Types has a negligible effect on its size (It has about 50 types and a lot of functionality, such as symbols, space reservation, calculations etc).

(The ideal would be that you have just ONE super parametric family for each category and everything you make would just be a type of that family. That would truly be 'data driven modelling' where new components are made by just editing the data that defines them. Some way to go before Revit is that standardised and consistent though...)
            Last edited by josephpeel; April 25, 2016, 02:28 PM.
            "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
              (The ideal would be that you have just ONE super parametric family for each category and everything you make would just be a type of that family. That would truly be 'data driven modelling' where new components are made by just editing the data that defines them. Some way to go before Revit is that standardised and consistent though...)
              I dont know that i would agree with that at all, honestly. There isnt much value lost in having different components, but there is a LOT of value lost in trying to have gigantic super families that cover every condition.

Having said that, file size doesnt mean a darn thing. I rarely even check file sizes these days.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Well...works for me. But maybe thats because I work mostly on the 'non-manufacturer specific' design end of things. I find it much easier to duplicate type and change a few sizes and offsets than make a new family. Also the resulting standardisation keeps things consistent.

Not saying thats how everyone should work.. Ultimately use the best solution/tool for the job!
                "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Thanks for the replies people. I guess there is no way around it then I'll just carry on as I do. Irritation though. I had one earlier that increased from 3.2mb to 6.1mb just by hitting save.

Oh and I already use parametric modelling in all my families

Comment