Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit - MEP - Oval Flexible duct

Hello Guys!

We need on our project Oval flexible duct!
    Do anyone knows is there a way to do other profile to flexible duct?
    Or is there any verison of revit which include flexible oval duct?

How should we do it ?

I googled it everywhere but I couldn't find nothing..

Thank You!

Ivó

My first question is who makes flexible duct in an oval shape?
    Thomas N Fuller II

LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by TFuller View Post
      My first question is who makes flexible duct in an oval shape?
      :J yes I wondeed also why dont thay make with a round trasition.. but the Australians

We have a project now that it was needed but we can only model it with the duct tool because it was neccesary for them to use oval felxible duct..

I guess no solution for this..

Comment

I honestly do not know of ANY oval flex duct manufacturers in the US and I have never seen it nor heard of it on any job. That might be why Revit does not have a system family for it. I see no way of creating it either.

If there was a significant need for it, I can see them considering adding it...
        Thomas N Fuller II

LinkedIn

Comment

There is flexible duct connector material that could be attached to an oval shapes but lengths of oval flex duct I haven't seen either.
          John Karben | IMEG Corp.

Comment

kubsix - Correct and an oval flex connector could be made as a regular fitting because ultimately we model those as nothing more than a fitting in a straight line. But to do a 4' run of oval flex with major bends and offsets - yeah - never in my life have I seen it. I've had to model round flex connecting to the oval inlets of linear diffuser plenum boxes and that looks wonky, but in the field, the round flex is fitted to the oval connection. It just doesn't make for a solid looking model, but the design intent is still accurate.

I'm seeing some rectangular flex out there in the interwebs even though I've never laid eyes or hands on it. I'm sure someone could produce oval flex much as oval spiral duct was a clever forming adaptation to round spiral. But again, I don't hear the market clamoring for it.

Ivó - ask for a manufacturer name and an idea of how often that product is used. We're really curious now.
            Thomas N Fuller II

LinkedIn

Comment

Oval flex duct? Does the manufacturer just sit on the round stuff?

I don't think you'll find any flexible oval duct. It is essentially round flex anyway. Isn't it? In the field we'd just make the round flex fit an oval spigot, that's with 150mm flex though. You may just have to create the model with round flex, good luck finding an oval flex profile!

Comment

Rectangular Flex Duct is a system family and should be available in your template, maybe there is some way to hack it to make oval connectors.. but not within the normal options available in revit.
                If you really want to model oval flex you will have to make your own family. A Duct Fitting with Part Type = Transition will give two ends that can be moved independently and you could make the flex with a sweep.
                "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
                  A Duct Fitting with Part Type = Transition will give two ends that can be moved independently and you could make the flex with a sweep.
                  Interesting hack...
                  Thomas N Fuller II

LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by TFuller View Post
                    Interesting hack...
                    Indeed!! Josephpeel is always full of so much info. The most valuable HVAC guy on the forum IMHO.

-TZ
                    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
                    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment