Copy Monitor Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy Monitor Pipes

I can copy monitor walls doors and stuff like that but how come I can't link in my Mechanical Consultant's model and copy monitor his pipes?

Copy monitoring is designed for elements where the ownership can be shared between different disciplines - ie walls can be Architectural or Structural, Sanitary Fittings can be Architectural or Plumbing.

There is no reason for an architect or structural engineer to have ownership over pipes so no reason to copy monitor them.
    Dan Morrison
    BIMTelligence

Comment

Originally posted by Mozdan11 View Post
      Copy monitoring is designed for elements where the ownership can be shared between different disciplines - ie walls can be Architectural or Structural, Sanitary Fittings can be Architectural or Plumbing.

There is no reason for an architect or structural engineer to have ownership over pipes so no reason to copy monitor them.
      I'm a mechanical contractor. I primarily do pipes and ducts. But when I link in the mechanical engineer's model I can't copy monitor the pipes and ducts. Besides, there is no Revit MEP anymore. It's just Revit. How would it know whether I am a MEP, structural, or architectural trade?

Comment

Originally posted by koolair View Post
        I'm a mechanical contractor. I primarily do pipes and ducts. But when I link in the mechanical engineer's model I can't copy monitor the pipes and ducts. Besides, there is no Revit MEP anymore. It's just Revit. How would it know whether I am a MEP, structural, or architectural trade?
        Revit was developed originally as a design tool to be used in the design process, hence why the copy/ monitor tool is meant to be used between architects and structural/ MEP Engineers, or occasionally between different services engineers.

Personally, whether in design or construction, I wouldn't use copy/ monitor for anything other than Grids and Levels, it is a tool that is fraught with too many problems when actually used on real projects of any size.
        Dan Morrison
        BIMTelligence

Comment

Originally posted by Mozdan11 View Post
          Revit was developed originally as a design tool to be used in the design process, hence why the copy/ monitor tool is meant to be used between architects and structural/ MEP Engineers, or occasionally between different services engineers.

Personally, whether in design or construction, I wouldn't use copy/ monitor for anything other than Grids and Levels, it is a tool that is fraught with too many problems when actually used on real projects of any size.
          Thanks for that tip. I wouldn't use it to copy monitor the whole thing just useful elements like plumbing fixtures and grilles. Naturally extended to some connecting systems. Kinda sucks if I can't get the exact position. Maybe I can add my own families and use align.

Comment

What's wrong with Copy/Paste?
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™
            Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
              What's wrong with Copy/Paste?

I do that too...just that I am also trying to develop a better workflow with my modeling team and I remember copy/monitor was a quick way to copy something in on the fly without stopping to open another model and hunt it down.

I use the SysQue Add on and the way I have it in my mind was to copy/monitor the exact position of WCs/FDs etc, then switch them out with the fabrication models I have from SysQue. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by koolair View Post
                I do that too...just that I am also trying to develop a better workflow with my modeling team and I remember copy/monitor was a quick way to copy something in on the fly without stopping to open another model and hunt it down.

I use the SysQue Add on and the way I have it in my mind was to copy/monitor the exact position of WCs/FDs etc, then switch them out with the fabrication models I have from SysQue. Cheers!
                The problem with copy/paste (that I have found) is that the systems classifications are lost. Then you have to try to figure out what systems they are suppose to be, and this is very time consuming and a big pain. I wish you could use copy/monitor for this application. I am also using Sysque and would definitely make our work flow much safer and faster.

Comment

Yeah it sucks that the systems get lost. I just tried another method to see if it would work; Save a view of just what you want to copy as a separate file, Link it, Bind the link. But unfortunately that also kills the systems. They look just fine when linked but then go to undefined when you bind.

Maybe you could do each system one at a time in this way, then you know what the system type should be for all the undefined stuff.
                  Although, there is no easy way to set the system type even if you do know what it should be, as Undefined is the only option in the list...
                  Maybe another one for the Dynamo ToDo list...
                  "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
                    Yeah it sucks that the systems get lost. I just tried another method to see if it would work; Save a view of just what you want to copy as a separate file, Link it, Bind the link. But unfortunately that also kills the systems. They look just fine when linked but then go to undefined when you bind.

Maybe you could do each system one at a time in this way, then you know what the system type should be for all the undefined stuff.
                    Although, there is no easy way to set the system type even if you do know what it should be, as Undefined is the only option in the list...
                    Maybe another one for the Dynamo ToDo list...
                    I've accepted the idea that I will still have to re-model most of the consultant's work.

In doing so, I have to start with my project template which has my custom predefined system types.

Therefore, the way I have this in my mind is to copy/monitor in a bunch of stuff, and even if it's undefined, it would take on the system type of the pipes I would eventually connect to it.

Comment