Displaying/Filtering pipework on sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Displaying/Filtering pipework on sheets

How do you guys separate different pipework on different plans?

I wanted to use filters and filter them by System Type but it System type doesn't appear on the list.

So I could filter heating pipework on one drawing soils on another, domestic on another, gas on another etc

I could use a filter on system name > contains > (Some abbreviation)

This is leaving it to other users to name everything properly then and I was hoping to hard code my filters into our template.
    Last edited by domsib; January 23, 2015, 01:37 PM.

Domsib

Revit MEP - 1 Day at a time...

Use System Classification.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

System classification will only pick up Cold Water for instance. I have 2 types of cold water, boosted and mains. How do I split these if the classification is filtered containing the word Cold.

Domsib

Comment

In that case, you can use "System abbreviation", which is a property of the system, not of the pipe type. Select one of the pipes that are assigned to the Cold Water - Boosted system classification, then click on Piping System > Edit Type > System abbreviation. Then, use the abbreviation as your filtering criteria, under "System abbreviation" in the Filter dialog box.
        Attached Files
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Alfredo,

System abbreviation doesn't appear in my list Capture.JPG

Domsib

Comment

Uncheck "Piping Systems" the system has diferent parameters and is not visible in the view anyway.

System Abreviation is what I use too. Its a good idea to name everything that is a similar type of system in the same way. For example tw-c tw-w tw-r for tap water instead of cw, ww, rw or something. Then you can use "Begins with tw" to show/filter them all.

I also tend to make 'not' filters. For example "System Abreviation does not begin with tw" with visibility off, to get rid of everything except what you want to show. Means you only need one filter per view instead of one for every system.

Oh, and leave the System Name alone, it gets changed every time you split or join systems anyway and the automatic name is "system abbreviation"+Number. So just set up as many pipe system types as you need and let revit do the naming.

Filtering Mech Equipment, or showing just duct heaters and not all the other duct accessories, also needs another way of filtering. I use Type Comments and list all the disciplines it should be visible in. For example Duct heater Type Comments = Air Heat, FCU = Air Heat Cool Drain Then you can filter with Contains.
            I suggest clearly writing up a list of standard disciplines and putting them in all your families.
            (Unless someone has a better method?)
            Last edited by josephpeel; January 23, 2015, 03:13 PM.
            "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Joseph. Brilliant thank you.

Domsib

Comment

If you use tw-cw for your cold water system abv, how do you tag your pipes?

Comment

Just with either that code or the system type name. Its also shown in a legend with all the system types and colours, linetypes etc.
                  Its not as neat as a single letter, but if you really want the acad style regularly repeated single letter along the pipe, its actually faster to do that with a line based annotation.
                  "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment