Far Clipping Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far Clipping Woes

Has anyone encountered issues with Far Clipping and Links disappearing? Man, talk about pulling my hair out! Situation goes as follows:

I have a View Template that is very defined for my Mechanical HVAC Sections. Pretty much every option is enabled other than Scale and Filters. I noticed my Structural Link was gone.... not showing anything at all. Reveal Hidden, and bam, there it was (here's the weird part) but it was screened, not highlighted in the fuchsia color like the rest of the hidden elements. "Hrmm" I thought. So I start digging in and was completely stumped after ten minutes of going through all the possible options it could be.

Finally I created a new section view and saw that the structural link was there. So I copied a temporary version of my View Template, unchecked everything and started from scratch, enabling each View Parameter in the Template one by one until the issue happened. I finally got all the way down to Far Clipping, which was set to Clip With Line, and there it was. My culprit all along... BUT... it doesn't affect some of the other Views? How weird is that?

I don't know if it's "just" a structural thing, or what, but it's very very weird to me that some Views with the View Template applied had no issues, and other Views didn't. These Views are Sections that are simply copied from the last, which is my preferred method of generating my HVAC Sections throughout the building.

Anybody else had any issues with this? I sure would like to know if so. For the record, changing the Far Clipping to Without Line seemed to do the trick, but not the preferred results for my View. Thanks in advance!!

-Tannar
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

We have had a bunch of issues over the years, with linked files disappearing based on factors that have nothing to do with the linked file. The biggest example I can think of is using detail views instead of floor plans, for call outs. If we do that, and make the crop region small enough, even if it is centered around the structural column in the middle of the view, the structural model will disappear. Same thing does not happen if we use a floor plan.

Neither should have an effect on the presence of the link to file at all, but I think it has something to do with the cumulative space in the active view. Try leaving the far clip on the setting you prefer but making it extends back farther. Does the link model come back?
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Not sure if this is related but I have a model where the structure disappears depending on which direction the section is pointing. In a specific area of the model the structure is visible when the section is pointing east and not when it is pointing west. Same section at different locations within that particular area. Repeatable even after updates.

Comment

Thanks guys. At least I know I'm not going insane.

Aaron I'll try your method and see if I get any different results from it.
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™
        Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
          Thanks guys. At least I know I'm not going insane.
          Going??? Son you have already gone insane. The proof is that you think you are still going. :crazy:
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I am having the same issues with a linked model. Changing the far clipping to without line brings the model back as does extending the far clip offset to something like 60 feet. In one instance where the structural model was showing a bar joist in elevation I had to extend the crop region to show the entire joist to get it to show up while using the clip with line option. Not sure how these are all working together.

Comment