Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Versions

Hi all,

How do you deal with updates and different projects possibly running on different versions of Revit?
    Do you have more than one version of Revit on one PC and are just really careful what you open which which version or do you have PC's exclusively used for certain projects and hence one version of Revit on it?

An architect has enquired whether it would be possible to upgrade the project to 2015 from 2014.
    Many of our projects are still working on 2014 so we'd need both.

Anyone had this experience and how did it go?

At my end they're running around like voodoo chickens: headless, clueless, feathers and blood flying.:crazy:

Perhaps I'm not seeing a potential pitfall or am to relaxed to geddit. I'd have the necessary machines installed with both 2014 and 2015 and be REALLY careful what you shoot at if you follow my analogy.

Ciao for now.
    Say something interesting....

We have different versions of Revit on the same PC, going from 2012 to 2015. Some architects we work with stick with the Revit model they started in instead of upgrading so we have to keep all.

As for being careful I find that easy though at times it may be a little waste of time. I searched around for how to determine which year of Revit was the model made in and the consensus seemed to be to open the file in a text editor like notepad or wordpad. Scroll down some and it lists the Revit model year. I personally have never tried it so I can't stake my life on it.

Also if you accidentally open a 2014 in 2015 it notifies you that it is upgrading the project which tells me that it was made in an older version so I just close it without saving or anything and then open it in the correct version. But our office is very small so I don't know if this strategy would be best for a larger workforce.

Comment

The most critical thing is that the team decides this together (Arch, MEP, Structural). While I understand the architect may have a preference (and his/her opinion may hold greater), the whole team needs to agree to either follow the architect or concur together. I had one project that we agreed would be done in one version (because the schematic arch team had old computers and couldn't upgrade - still annoyed 'cause that was me) and structural someone missed that message and started in a newer version. When we passed the model on to the DD/CD arch team, they upgraded and it was much happier. More recently, I'm working on a project, but due to the company's protocol, I have no interaction with the engineers ... I'm lucky to know which version of Revit the structural engineer's are using for this project.

Comment

If you try to open a rvt file with worksharing and you cant select "Create Local" then it is a different version. So look before you open

We still have architects hanging on to 2012, which is annoying because there are so many improvements to the MEP side of things (And to revit server and handling of linked files) in 2014 that an older version is just a pain to go back to.
        If we get as far as losing the 2012 license because we have started 2016 projects we will just send out IFC models only until they upgrade.
        "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

Management is squeaking like a trapped mouse over this. They really don't want to upgrade especially since they've just installed the PCs with Revit 2014.
          The other excuse (which I snicker at) is that Revit 2015 is so young.

I hate playing catch-up. Give me the newer version because you know what? In the end you're going to have to get it anyway and when you do it'll be the same version as everyone else has, just later and after most have moved on to 2016...

Oi!

Ciao for now.
          Say something interesting....

Comment