Copy/Monitor and Instance parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy/Monitor and Instance parameters

Got another issue hopefully you guys can help me out with.

Our electrical engineer is copy/monitoring over all of our mechanical equipment into their model for powering. The issue is all the instance parameters lose their values and thus all the information he needs doesn't come through.

Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks

I got this answer from josephpeel on this forum when asking a similar question:

No. This is a "Feature" of copy monitor.. It doesnt copy instance parameters.
    You can use something like BIMLink to export all the fittings from both models to excel, sort by X,Y,Z coordinates (Which should be exactly the same in the original and copy monitored models) and then read all the corresponding instance data into the copy-monitored versions.
    (Sounds complicated but its quite quick once you get the hang of it)
    Thanks,
    Dan

Comment

Have a read through The Fireproofed Model that Aaron and Scott Wilson presented at RTCNA this year. Malleristic Revitation: What can i say that hasn't been said already?

They ended up pushing parameters back and forth between architectural and structural models using the API and graciously included the app in the data set.
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Why not just have the mechanical and electrical all in one "MEP" file instead of breaking the trades out? They go hand in hand and Worksets can aid in delegating control.
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™
        Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
          Why not just have the mechanical and electrical all in one "MEP" file instead of breaking the trades out? They go hand in hand and Worksets can aid in delegating control.
          The architect required each discipline be in their own model. I agree though it would have been helpful for it all to be in one MEP/FP model. So I guess this is a short coming of Revit that currently has no solution and not a user error?

Comment

Originally posted by mcole254 View Post
            The architect required each discipline be in their own model.
            Odd. Do you know the reason why? I'm curious to know, since two links versus one link doesn't affect the architect at all.

I agree though it would have been helpful for it all to be in one MEP/FP model. So I guess this is a short coming of Revit that currently has no solution and not a user error?
            There's a reason why it's "Revit MEP" and not "Revit HVAC, Revit Electrical, Revit Piping", etc. The MEP should always be in the same model, since mechanical and plumbing equipment can be circuited. Kind of hard to do that if everything's separated into their own models.

This isn't AutoCAD & XREF's. When are people going to let go of old drafting techniques? Just kills me sometimes.
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Odd. Do you know the reason why? I'm curious to know, since two links versus one link doesn't affect the architect at all.
              Honestly who knows, they get what they want though. Hopefully in the future we as the engineer can push for one model.

There's a reason why it's "Revit MEP" and not "Revit HVAC, Revit Electrical, Revit Piping", etc. The MEP should always be in the same model, since mechanical and plumbing equipment can be circuited. Kind of hard to do that if everything's separated into their own models.

This isn't AutoCAD & XREF's. When are people going to let go of old drafting techniques? Just kills me sometimes.
              I agree completely.

Back on the original topic, could this somehow be worked around with embedded schedules?

Comment

Honestly who knows, they get what they want though.
                No, they DON'T get what they want. That's just ridiculous. Y'all signed up for it so..... oh well. People just let others run buck wild nowadays, making decisions for others for now logical reason at all and it's ridiculous. Put your foot down man...

Back on the original topic, could this somehow be worked around with embedded schedules?
                Seems this has been answered. You're not using Revit in the manner it was intended so you may find a fix for this, but ten more issues await after that. Good luck. Hope the architect is happy.

Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Originally posted by DMapes View Post
                  I got this answer from josephpeel on this forum when asking a similar question:

No. This is a "Feature" of copy monitor.. It doesnt copy instance parameters.
                  You can use something like BIMLink to export all the fittings from both models to excel, sort by X,Y,Z coordinates (Which should be exactly the same in the original and copy monitored models) and then read all the corresponding instance data into the copy-monitored versions.
                  (Sounds complicated but its quite quick once you get the hang of it)

This is good info. I don't have BIMLink, but maybe RF Tools Parameter scheduler can do that. I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Wish they would get rid of this "feature" as its a major PITA. It makes Copy monitor almost useless.

Comment

That's all well and fine, but Revit runs into performance problems when projects get big, so my firm ends up splitting models along disciplines. You also run into situations where an outside consultant is doing a different discipline, for instance HVAC...We really need to add connections between models. and copy monitor needs to be fixed.

Comment