Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom solar thermal piping system

Hello,

I am trying to design a piping layout for an unconventional experimental research project. I have a house model created by our architect and I have used conceptual masses to represent the equipment the piping will be running to in the basement so I can't use any automatic routing features that I've seen discussed in tutorials. (It would be laborious and time consuming to try and create components to represent each piece of equipment so I hope that is not necessary.)

I have used flexible piping to model a below-ground hydronic system with a serpentine layout (see images below).
    Soil1_iso_realistic.png Soil1_wireframe.pngeast_elevation_wireframe.png

However, I would like to run piping up from this underground system into the basement and route it to various equipment. I also need to run a plethora of pipe runs between individual pieces of equipment in the basement.

Ojectives:
    1. Use this as a design tool to figure out where to place piping and how to connect everything.
    2. To show my consultants and contractors the whole picture in terms of placement of equipment and piping.

Problems:
    1. I can't figure out how to run pipe vertically, I can only place it horizontally and offset from the current work plane (I can't figure out how to set a vertical work plane as I can't click on any lines or planes when I click 'set' from the 'work planes' tab).
    2. All of the help files and courses talk about plumbing as though its always done in the plan view and its connecting to standard equipment.

If anyone can explain to me how to get started on this, it would be very much appreciated. I am at my wits end!

Originally posted by briana.paige View Post

Problems:
    1. I can't figure out how to run pipe vertically, I can only place it horizontally and offset from the current work plane (I can't figure out how to set a vertical work plane as I can't click on any lines or planes when I click 'set' from the 'work planes' tab).
    2. All of the help files and courses talk about plumbing as though its always done in the plan view and its connecting to standard equipment.

If anyone can explain to me how to get started on this, it would be very much appreciated. I am at my wits end!
    Looks like a neat project! Running pipe vertically is fairly simple and there are a few ways to do it. The easiest way is:

Start your pipe command (notice the offset parameter in your properties bar). Draw a segment of pipe but don't exit the pipe command. Then change your offset to the next height you want. In the video, I'm going from -1'-0" to 5'-0". Continue to draw your pipe segment and Revit will draw the vertical pipe connecting the two segments.

I made a short video showing this process. Hope it helps: http://screencast.com/t/s6kCG0PQ

You can also cut a section and draw your pipe that way, but it's just as easy to do in plan view.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronb View Post
      Looks like a neat project! Running pipe vertically is fairly simple and there are a few ways to do it. The easiest way is:

Start your pipe command (notice the offset parameter in your properties bar). Draw a segment of pipe but don't exit the pipe command. Then change your offset to the next height you want. In the video, I'm going from -1'-0" to 5'-0". Continue to draw your pipe segment and Revit will draw the vertical pipe connecting the two segments.

I made a short video showing this process. Hope it helps: http://screencast.com/t/s6kCG0PQ

You can also cut a section and draw your pipe that way, but it's just as easy to do in plan view.
      Thanks so much for your reply. I'm going to follow your directions and I'll report back on how it goes!

Comment

That worked perfectly, I really appreciate your help. Cheers!

Comment