Naming Views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming Views

Can anyone share how they name their views.

I've only just started putting my views onto our sheets and it was at this point I realised that the view names appear below the view on the sheet.

I have no naming standard for my views so under each view on the sheet is now a piece of text describing the view but doesn't look professional.

I work in the M&E field so maybe an M&E guy could tell me how they name their sections, plans, elevation views.

If not maybe an general Revit guy can explain their naming standards to help out.

Thanks

Domsib

Revit MEP - 1 Day at a time...

Originally posted by domsib View Post
    Can anyone share how they name their views.

I've only just started putting my views onto our sheets and it was at this point I realised that the view names appear below the view on the sheet.

I have no naming standard for my views so under each view on the sheet is now a piece of text describing the view but doesn't look professional.

I work in the M&E field so maybe an M&E guy could tell me how they name their sections, plans, elevation views.

If not maybe an general Revit guy can explain their naming standards to help out.

Thanks
    In the Properties of each view there is a place to input your own "Title On Sheet;" It's listed under Identity Data. The View Name is what Revit automatically gives to your views, but you may change the name here so that they make more sense to you.

I'm in Structural. We typically let Revit name the views as it wants. Once we place the views on the sheets, we may go back in and edit the name of the view to be (sheet)-(detail #) but then also use the "Title on Sheet" to give a more, as you say, "professional" title.

For instance, my view that Revit automatically named as Section 71, once placed on sheet SF601 in placeholder A1; I have renamed the view SF601-A1 and have also edited the Title on Sheet to be "Section at Roof Edge"

HTH.
    Last edited by LeanneZ; March 5, 2013, 04:31 PM.
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
      For instance, my view that Revit automatically named as Section 71, once placed on sheet SF601 in placeholder A1; I have renamed the view SF601-A1 and have also edited the Title on Sheet to be "Section at Roof Edge"
      I wouldn't name the view based on the sheet (my 0.02) - if you move the view to a different sheet or renumber the sheet you are stuck renaming your views as well. I actually tried this and it was a huge pain when I had to move stuff around.

I always try to name my views with a descriptive name: Section 71 would be named Section at Roof Edge, floor plans get prefixed with the floor number, then a descriptive: 01-Dimension Plan, 02-Dimension Plan and renamed in the Title on Sheet parameter. This makes it easy to find the plan in the Browser and they all sort in order. I also use viewRename to rename elevations programmatically. Elevation 1 becomes Office 102 - North

Revit workFlow - Features
      Last edited by cellophane; March 5, 2013, 04:48 PM.
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys. All really useful and helpful information.

Thanks again

Domsib

Revit MEP - 1 Day at a time...

Comment

I work in the M&P field. What we usually do is right click on the view itself in the project browser and there is an option that says rename. I use names such as "1st Floor Mechanical Plan" or "Mechanical Ceiling Plan" or "Plumbing Floor Plan". This way when the view is imported onto a sheet that is the title under the view.

If I am not satisfied by the way the title looks, I just take it out completely and put in my own title. This I usually do just by adding text at the bottom of the view and that is my title for that view. Not sure if that helped or clarified anything. But if you want me to elaborate on anything, I can!

Comment

We typically rename the view to say what we want it to the sheet its referencing to be titled. We also capitalize the entire title if referenced on a sheet and just use word case for "working" or non referenced views. Revit will give it a title under "View Name", but if you have something filled out in "Title on Sheet", then that is what gets used instead of view name. See image.
            Attached Files
            Jason Peckovitch
            Father | Photographer | Car/Tech Guy
            Revit MEP 2015 Certified Professional
            That BIM Guy Blog | Google+

Comment