Attention Architects, Designers, and MEP people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Architects, Designers, and MEP people

Over the next few months I am going to be greatly expanding our library of generic MEP families. Once everything gets quality checked for functionality ,appearance, and is fluff-free we will be releasing it to the public for free. What I need is help from you all.

Residential, commercial, industrial, hotel, school, hospital, stage or concert hall...every sector needs to expand. The list is growing by the week of things to add, but I will admit I do not know everything that I need to add. Probably missed a lot of stuff because I don't know all the terminology. I need your help. And, with any luck, this will gain the attention of certain manufacturers that do not want to delve into the world of BIM yet so we can get some actual, real equipment out on the net. A lot of the current sites offering free downloadables are severely lacking.

So...let me hear it. What sort of equipment, fixtures, or extra MEP stuff do you have trouble finding? What stuff have you found but the quality absolutely sucks?

Everything will be built with native revit geometry, no linework elevation/plan views, sparse materials, and fully parametric (in most cases. there will likely be a lot of static one-offs). Connectors and shared parameters where necessary.

This is not region specific, either. Imperial or metric equipment will be evaluated.

:wine:
    Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
    Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

I've had a hard time with the more mundane items.

hose bibs
    exit signs
    emergency wall packs (although I have a family that I generally like)
    electrical terminals that look decent in elevation and show up correctly in plan
    bathroom equipment - faucets and shower fixtures in particular. I have some Kohler and Bradley stuff and they are ok. The Bradley is (imo) better than the Kohler.
    bathtub - I made one that is ok at best. I would not be opposed to a better one
    generic hospitality equipment - TV's, coffee makers, small ovens (like this guy)

A lot of things I could probably make but I don't know a thing about the MEP side of families - connectors and the like. We also rarely write specs so the equipment we show is more often than not generic in nature.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

[QUOTE=cellophane;62825]

generic hospitality equipment - TV's, coffee makers, small ovens (like this guy)
      QUOTE]

I would add, most kitchen equiptment to the list....
      Chris Wetzel
      Draftsman
      Tom Stringer Design Partners
      http://www.tomstringer.com

Comment

metric teks screws would be nice Buildex®. One of the worlds leading manufacturers and suppliers of self-drilling screws and fasteners.
        There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

That they would! However it doesn't fit into the scope of this current project.

Comment

oh wow.... there are so many MEP pieces that either aren't out there or suck big time. I've found that if I do happen to find a model that works, I ALWAYS at the very least have to create a new annotation/detail symbol to drop in. most of the manufacturer stuff out there looks good (if you're an architect or interior designer) but it's usually too complex, hard to deconstruct/customize, contain all sorts of completely unnecessary information, and are usually JUST A STUPID 3DCAD MODEL DROPPED INTO A REVIT FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry just had to vent.

there are probably tens of thousands of possible pieces of MEP equipment that could be modeled (better)... everything from AHUs to Exit signs

basically it boils down to the fact that most families out there are designed by/for architects, not engineers. we mainly want to show FUNCTION (through symbols/tags) on our drawings, not FORM (that's for the archies), otherwise we start running into conflicts/redundant information

Comment

Fittings, fittings, fittings. Well... piping fittings that are "accurate" I should say. Especially since there's "Routing Preferences" in RMEP 2013 now. Socket weld, Carbon steel, Pro-press, Solder joints, etc. It's the math that gets me... it's hard to create. I've still be trying to make some from scratch.
              Tannar Z. Frampton ™
              Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Mmm. Kool-Aid.

Or beer for those that prefer a :beer:.

You know...making random components like this makes work entertaining.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew K View Post
                  Mmm. Kool-Aid.

Or beer for those that prefer a :beer:.

You know...making random components like this makes work entertaining.
                  If you are doing Kool-Aid I need a Kool-Aid man breaking through the wall! :ka: for a rendering... :bb:
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Soooo, why the connector at the back of the kool aide dispenser? :laugh:

You know what I need: fire sprinkler standpipe systems with remote FDC connections. :thumbsup:
                    Dan

Comment