Elec Connector position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elec Connector position

I have a elec connector giving me fits in MEP 2010. I place the connector via Work Plane so I can control the location (X and Y in plan). Using locked dims break the model, using a eq/eq constraint breaks the model and using a length parameter, you guessed it, breaks the model. I was able to get a parameter to work for the Y direction, but the same method does not work in the X direction. It may have something to do with how the family flexes, in that it does not seem to flex equally about the center ref plane. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files

http://www.captiveaire.com/
    Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems

Electrical connectors don't have any plane or point that can be used to align and lock the connector to reference planes, to control its location. One solution is to use a nested model family, a simple face-based little extrusion such as "connector_holder" that can be placed on the face of the equipment; the holder can be hidden by a visibility parameter if it is necessary, or it can be left visible if it represents an electrical fixture. Align and lock the holder to reference planes and add parameters. Place the connector by Face on the holder. The connector will be placed automatically at the center of the face of the holder and will remain attached to that face. Now, you can move the holder by parameters, and since the connector is attached to the holder, this will make the connector move along.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Alf. The file size is starting to get large with all these nests, but I will use your method. The way I got a paramter (image above) to drive the location was to select the work plane based connector, move witness lines of the temporary dims, click the symbol to turn them into permanent dims and then assign a paramter to that dim. What bugs me is why it worked for the Y axis but not in the X axis.

http://www.captiveaire.com/
      Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems

Comment

I use Alfredos method, but as well as that our little invisible connector holder has a number of "steps" on it so each electrical connector is on a slightly different plane, allowing us to see them all easily and edit them - refer image for an example of an outlet that has x4 data connectors and x2 communication connectors.
        Connector.PNG
        Alex Page
        RevitWorks Ltd
        Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Re-visiting this thread, I'd like to add that the method mentioned in my previous post in this thread to control the position of a connector by parameters is not the only way. It is useful, though, in cases such as an electrical connector that is on the face of an outlet. But, in the case of other connectors that don't use outlets, the location of the connector can be controlled by parameters by simply converting the temporary dimensions (that appear when we select the connector) into permanent dimensions first and then into parameters. By using "move witness lines" we can relate these dimensions to a specific place or references in the family.
          Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment