Component to a Family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Component to a Family?

So I have a created a few equipment models in a project. I did not create them as families, just pretty much extrusions. These componets have to be a unique family. Is there a way to take a component and make it a family or do I have to re-create everything as a family?
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Roger. AFAIK you can use the trick of saving a group in edit mode.
    Edit the in-place geometry, in edit mode, make a group of desired elements, then go to save as, librairy, group, and you should see that the file will have the rfa extension. You're done.

But can't you just save it as a group?
    Julien
    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
    P. DAC
    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

you can copy sketch lines from project to family

Comment

What Revit Wants: Save an In-Place Family as an RFA for use in another project
        Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
        Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Originally posted by jbenoit44 View Post
          Edit the in-place geometry, in edit mode, make a group of desired elements, then go to save as, librairy, group, and you should see that the file will have the rfa extension. You're done.

Typically, for custom components I just leave em as components. But this particular Job has BIM Standards we have to abide by...not allowed to have generic objects shown just for 3D purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by jbenoit44 View Post

This seemed to work!
            I have 3 wall a/c units. I took one and created the group and saved as .rfa. It didnt conver that particular component to the family tho. Is it supposed to somehow? Guess I'll just delete the 3 wall ac's and just insert the family now, just dont wanna go back and put in all the schedule info. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              This seemed to work!
              I have 3 wall a/c units. I took one and created the group and saved as .rfa. It didnt conver that particular component to the family tho. Is it supposed to somehow? Guess I'll just delete the 3 wall ac's and just insert the family now, just dont wanna go back and put in all the schedule info. Thanks for the help!
              It doesn't replace the in-place - you have to put it in.

You could try 'match properties' or use a Schedule to quickly populate values from the in-place to the new Component.
              Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
              Author of What Revit Wants

Comment