Electrical Equipment vs. Electrical Fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Equipment vs. Electrical Fixture

Clueless architect here asking a basic question about electrical family creation. I have done quite a bit of searching around and have not really found a definitive answer to what should be obvious.
    What is the difference between an electrical equipment family and an electrical fixture family? I look at the parameters in the family templates and it does not seem obvious to me. Is one for "equipment" that distributes power and the other for "fixtures" that consume it?
    Please enlighten me. :beer:

Other way around if you ask me... Equipment is the actual piece of, well, equipment. Fixtures are the outlets, sockets, switches and stuff.
    Well, at least that's how I define them.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks, Martijn. I think we actually agree - by distribution, I was thinking about switchboards, panels, transformers, etc. I think I have some semantic issues since I really have no idea how the systems part of Revit MEP works (shame on me...)
      I was basing my assumption on the fact that there are ceiling and wall hosted fixture templates. Why would you typically need a ceiling hosted electrical panel or transformer? The "stuff" we are talking about (fixtures) are the parts of the electrical system that architects tend to care most about - the stuff that users interract with and see in the building - not the stuff in the electrical rooms.

Comment