Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe Couplings/Flange Adaptors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pipe Couplings/Flange Adaptors

    I am using Revit to create a wastewater pumping station. I need to use various diameters of pipe couplings/flange adaptors, but I can't find anything ready-made anywhere! Can anyone point me towards something?

    If no one knows of anything, can anyone suggest the best way to go about making a family of couplings? What's the best template to use?

    #2
    Well for the pre-made ones your best bet would be to look under

    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\<Revit Version>\Libraries\UK\Pipe\Fittings

    And then just pick the pipe material you want to use. If those don't suit your purpose and you just want to make your own then the template I would recommend is the simple Metric Generic then just switch the family category to pipe fittings and you're set :thumbsup:

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by CharlieStokes View Post
      Well for the pre-made ones your best bet would be to look under

      C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\<Revit Version>\Libraries\UK\Pipe\Fittings

      And then just pick the pipe material you want to use. If those don't suit your purpose and you just want to make your own then the template I would recommend is the simple Metric Generic then just switch the family category to pipe fittings and you're set :thumbsup:
      Yeah, the library likes to pretend it has couplings, but they're not really what I'd call a coupling, it's just a non-straight pipe!

      Basically I'm using ductile iron pipe, and that comes in fixed lengths of 5m. If I only need 2.5m, they'd cut the pipe in half and use a flange adaptor (like this one: FlexLock Adaptor - Features and Benefits - Viking Johnson) to connect the pipe to the next piece.

      I'll look at creating one them, it's just time consuming - I'm not sure if there is a way to set it up so you can change the diameter of the fitting without actually having to re-draw a new coupling for each pipe diameter (it'd be hundreds of families worth!) - not sure if that makes sense!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by EC05 View Post
        I'm not sure if there is a way to set it up so you can change the diameter of the fitting without actually having to re-draw a new coupling for each pipe diameter (it'd be hundreds of families worth!) - not sure if that makes sense!
        You can certainly edit the existing ones to show a different diameter than the pipe diameter it's coupling with. Are you familiar with Family Editor and how to approach this?

        -TZ
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™
        Frampton & Associates, Inc.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
          You can certainly edit the existing ones to show a different diameter than the pipe diameter it's coupling with. Are you familiar with Family Editor and how to approach this?

          -TZ
          I'm afraid the existing families aren't suitable - they don't have the right sort of couplings in the standard Revit library.

          What I'm trying to work out is: I need a 150mm pipe coupling and an 80mm pipe coupling. I can draw the 150mm coupling, and then manually edit it to suit an 80mm pipe, but is there a way I can automate it? So instead of having to manually shrink the 150mm coupling down to 80mm, I pick the new diameter from a drop down menu and Revit changes it all automatically? If so, what family would be best?

          Comment


            #6
            To achieve this you will need to make the families parametric. So instead of having a fixed size, the dimensions are linked to length parameters, which are driven by a controling parameter.

            For example; When you place the fitting revit will automatically pick up the Nominal Pipe Diameter from the pipe connectors.
            If you know that the outer diameter of the coupling is always 1.5x the pipe nominal diameter, you can use a formula to control this value (Outer Diameter = Nominal Pipe Diameter * 1.5)
            Then in the sketch for your round extrusion for the coupling you place a radial dimension and link it to the Outer Diameter parameter.
            Then you can just place the family and it will size automatically.

            To do this for all possible sizes you will have to get the manufacturers data and see how each dimension relates to the nominal diameter. I find the best way is to graph all the sizes against diameter in excel and fit a formula, but you can also use lookup tables or lots of if() formulas.

            - - - Updated - - -

            To achieve this you will need to make the families parametric. So instead of having a fixed size, the dimensions are linked to length parameters, which are driven by a controling parameter.

            For example; When you place the fitting revit will automatically pick up the Nominal Pipe Diameter from the pipe connectors.
            If you know that the outer diameter of the coupling is always 1.5x the pipe nominal diameter, you can use a formula to control this value (Outer Diameter = Nominal Pipe Diameter * 1.5)
            Then in the sketch for your round extrusion for the coupling you place a radial dimension and link it to the Outer Diameter parameter.
            Then you can just place the family and it will size automatically.

            To do this for all possible sizes you will have to get the manufacturers data and see how each dimension relates to the nominal diameter. I find the best way is to graph all the sizes against diameter in excel and fit a formula, but you can also use lookup tables or lots of if() formulas.

            Starting with a 'Union' pipe fitting family is probably the best option.
            Last edited by josephpeel; January 2, 2017, 12:02 PM.
            "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by EC05 View Post
              Yeah, the library likes to pretend it has couplings, but they're not really what I'd call a coupling, it's just a non-straight pipe!

              Basically I'm using ductile iron pipe, and that comes in fixed lengths of 5m. If I only need 2.5m, they'd cut the pipe in half and use a flange adaptor (like this one: FlexLock Adaptor - Features and Benefits - Viking Johnson) to connect the pipe to the next piece.

              I'll look at creating one them, it's just time consuming - I'm not sure if there is a way to set it up so you can change the diameter of the fitting without actually having to re-draw a new coupling for each pipe diameter (it'd be hundreds of families worth!) - not sure if that makes sense!
              ECO5 - Did you ever find a solution to this? I am looking for couplings as well.

              Comment

              Related Topics

              Collapse

              • Flanges for welded pipe
                Pro tip: If you are modeling welded pipe fittings, and need flanges to connect to valves and equipment, change your flange families to "pipe accessories"....
                August 19, 2021, 01:54 PM
              • Pipe outlets?
                Does anyone know how to make welded pipe outlets (like 1" outlets on 6" pipe)
                is this something you would have to make as a family or...
                November 30, 2012, 06:01 AM
              • Pipe types
                How do you load pipe types (stainless, cast iron, etc.. ) i only seem to be able to use copper and im not sure how to change, ive tried loading the family...
                February 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
              • Can a pipe fitting be converted into a pipe accessory?
                Looking to convert pipe elbows into radiator valves without having to manually delete the elbow then add the valve. Can this be achieved?

                ...
                June 13, 2018, 10:04 AM
              • Creating Reinforced Conc Pipe in Revit 2013?
                How would we go about placing RCP (Reinforced Conc Pipe) in Revit 2013? The only pipe types I see are Default, PVC & Standard. I "duplicated"...
                April 25, 2014, 03:57 PM
              Working...
              X