Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 head pole? 2 IES files?

Hi everyone,

We're trying to run some site lighting calculations for the first time using Revit and ElumTools, but from our search through manufacturer's websites, none seem to offer (proper BIM files to begin with) a fixture that can have 2-heads.

Are there any that do? Moreover, how would they deal with the two heads photometrics? Is there someone out there that provides that but I haven't found them yet?

Any help/advice/insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Make the heads a nested, Shared family, and put the IES file in them. Load them in to the pole family, then load in to project.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

That will get you two heads (what's a head?) but, unless each has its own IES file it won't be correct. IES files are typically of an entire fixture and, in my experience, don't go nearly far enough (typically only one size, power, color, down/up in the same fixture blocked by geometry, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Greg McDowell Jr
      about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

It'll be correct if the IES file is for each individual head, which seemed to be what the OP was asking about.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

True that. How have you addressed the other issues with IES files? I ended up creating essentially nested light bulbs for the various color/power combinations. No small amount of work but a type catalog from Excel makes it manageable.

Last edited by GMcDowellJr; June 18, 2016, 09:16 PM.
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            Make the heads a nested, Shared family, and put the IES file in them. Load them in to the pole family, then load in to project.
            That's what I ended up doing, though not my favorite approach since I can't change IES files on the fly through ElumTools while working on the project. But it seems like the only solution. Thanks.

Originally posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
            True that. How have you addressed the other issues with IES files? I ended up creating essentially nested light bulbs for the various color/power combinations. No small amount of work but a type catalog from Excel makes it manageable.

That's an interesting approach to deal with multiple variations of the same/similar fixture type. How did you do that exactly? And I'm guessing the IES files would be found within those nested light bulbs?

Comment

No, manufacturers typically only make one IES file per fixture due to costs. Often they're 48" fixtures so if you have a 24" what do you do? If you have a 96" you can argue the use of 2 of the 48" and that will probably get you close enough for a photometric calc but not for a rendering. Light distrubution from a 96" fixture is different than a 48" fixture. I'm just using the built in parameters to contol power/color/etc. It generates about the right light but not necessarily the right distribution. I'm just as curious how others manage this as you.
              Greg McDowell Jr
              about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by mkisno4 View Post
                ... I can't change IES files on the fly through ElumTools while working on the project...
                Even is the nested family is Shared? (like Aaron recommended)
                Alex Page
                RevitWorks Ltd
                Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

I do not yet quite understand doctors explained to me is not it more understandable
                  I do not yet quite understand doctors explained to me is not it more understandable

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Page View Post
                    Even is the nested family is Shared? (like Aaron recommended)
                    Sorry had to jump around on other projects.

But by "shared" you mean this kind of thing: Revit OpEd: Connecting Parameters in Nested Families ?

Comment