Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nested Annotation in family how keep horizontal when rotating family within project?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Nested Annotation in family how keep horizontal when rotating family within project?

    Hi all, new to the forum here.


    I've done some searching and cant find a good solution...


    I have a socket family that we are annotating using a nested text rather than a tag. Presently the nested text shows up in the project rotated perpendicular to the symbol, so we have inconsistent text rotation everywhere.


    My question is, is there a parameter for locking the nested text within the family to make its rotation behave like a tag? In other words id like all my nested text to show horizontal across the entire project regardless of the angle of the symbol/family?


    Here is an image for example:
    Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/CW1WDy2.jpg


    Thanks in advance

    #2
    Short answer is; you cant... This only works with tags.
    What you can do is manually set a rotation angle for the text.
    Make reference line in you r family and control its rotation with an angle parameter. Then lock the text to the ref line.
    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

    Comment


      #3
      Rftools parameter linker has a demo of doing exactly this, if you're up for that. Rftools is amazing BTW.

      Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
        Short answer is; you cant... This only works with tags.
        What you can do is manually set a rotation angle for the text.
        Make reference line in you r family and control its rotation with an angle parameter. Then lock the text to the ref line.
        How do you lock text to a reference line in a generic annotation family?

        Comment


          #5
          group the text/label with an invisible line and align/lock to this line
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for your quick reply. I am new to creating families. I still don't get how you align/lock text or a label to a line. There is no "reference plane" within text or a label to align it to the line with. I tried both- creating text and a label in a generic annotation family. My idea was since I can rotate either of these, then I could load it (the annotation family) into a fixture family and then be able to rotate the annotation family exclusive of the fixture. Right now all I can do is flip the annotation left/right or top/bottom using the controls feature. I want to have the fixture on a wall running up/down with the text still reading left/right.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JackDarden View Post
              Thanks for your quick reply. I am new to creating families. I still don't get how you align/lock text or a label to a line. There is no "reference plane" within text or a label to align it to the line with. I tried both- creating text and a label in a generic annotation family. My idea was since I can rotate either of these, then I could load it (the annotation family) into a fixture family and then be able to rotate the annotation family exclusive of the fixture. Right now all I can do is flip the annotation left/right or top/bottom using the controls feature. I want to have the fixture on a wall running up/down with the text still reading left/right.
              just to expand on what Greg said...draw an invisible line under/over/through your text. Create a group with the text and the invisible line. Align and lock the invisible line (the one in the group) to the reference line mentioned by josephpeel.
              Last edited by elton williams; February 26, 2017, 02:09 AM.
              There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

              Comment


                #8
                Appreciate your reply. Suppose I didn't clearly explain myself. I did say at one point I wanted to keep text horizontal while rotating the family. But also said "be able to rotate the annotation family exclusive of the fixture". That is what I want to be able to do. I tried your solution. It does work as far as keeping the text horizontal when rotating the family. But going back to my 2D drawing days (now many years past) dynamic autocad blocks allowed flipping and rotating anything that you gave that type of parameter to. Revit families (as I am getting into them) seem to have less flexibility of being able to do that. Any further advice? Thanks.

                Comment


                  #9
                  And also allowed you to be able to move the text associated with a dynamic block freely and completely exclusive of the "block" info. Please do not give me grief for comparing BIM to CAD, I am a huge proponent of 3D modeling and use of BIM. I have locked text in a family to the rest of the family and given it a length parameter so I can move the text horizontally further away from the rest of the family. So maybe I just need to try that in both directions too. But still seems like a huge pain to do something so simple. Thanks again for any further advice.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by JackDarden View Post
                    And also allowed you to be able to move the text associated with a dynamic block freely and completely exclusive of the "block" info. Please do not give me grief for comparing BIM to CAD, I am a huge proponent of 3D modeling and use of BIM. I have locked text in a family to the rest of the family and given it a length parameter so I can move the text horizontally further away from the rest of the family. So maybe I just need to try that in both directions too. But still seems like a huge pain to do something so simple. Thanks again for any further advice.
                    You'll only give yourself grief by comparing revit to cad, you should forget about cad altogether, revit is like learning to live on another planet. You seem to be on the right path with moving your text horizontally, same thing to move it vertically.
                    But i would question your whole approach to having moveable text inside a family. Why not just use tags?
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X