Flood Light Family Creation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flood Light Family Creation Questions

I am in the process of creating a flood light family that has parameters to adjust the swivel (Parameter: Swivel Angle) and light angle (Parameter: Light Angle). From everything I have seen/read the only way to achieve this is to create multiple (child) families and nest them into one (parent family) by hosting them to a reference line that is controlled by a parameter.

My first question is.......Is this the only way to achieve the rotation of groups of geometry? My next question involves getting the light source torotate whith the imported geometry. My original plan was to have the light source exist in one of the imported families/child families. The problem with that is that I am not able to change the IES file with a parameter via a Type Catalog. My other plan was to constrain the light source to the Reference Line (within the parent family) and change the angle Parameter that drives the angle for that line however, I get a message saying "Constraints are not satisfied" whenever I lock/constrain the light source to the reference line and change the parameter (Parameter: Angle) that “drives” the angle of the reference line. Make note that before I posted the family I locked the Light Source Plane that is parallel with the Horizontal Light Source Plane the the Reference Line that is also parallel with the Horizontal Light Source Plane. PLEASE HELP :banghead:

I have attached the .rfa for anyone that may have time to look at it and offer possible solutions. It has been created using MEP 2010.

Thank You in advance for any help offered.

Eric Laforge
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ELaforge View Post
    ...My first question is.......Is this the only way to achieve the rotation of groups of geometry?
    This is the recommended, efficient way to get objects to rotate objects as per parameters.

My next question involves getting the light source to rotate with the imported geometry. My original plan was to have the light source exist in one of the imported families/child families. The problem with that is that I am not able to change the IES file with a parameter via a Type Catalog.
    I see that this option is working already. I think you should stay with this option. To be able to drive parameters via a type catalog, you need to nest the parameter that you want to control (continuously if necessary) until it is finally tied to a parameter in the final host family. Otherwise the type catalog is going to issue an error that "parameter 'such' does not exist in the family". I hope it helps.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Thanks for the input Alfredo. It is MUCH appreciated.

I must be missing something with the nesting of parameters. As you can see my family is made up of 3 files and the IES file exists in the one that is a family that gets nested into another family which gets nested into another family (almost like the red headed step child twice removed...LOL). I understand the process of "linking" parameter by going to TYPES and creating a parameter then going into the nested family's Element Properties/Edit Type and select the gray box to the right of the parameter that I want to link and select the corresponding parameter in the dialog box that comes up. This process doesn't seem to be achieving what I need to do. Can someone point out what I am doing wrong?

THANK YOU
      Last edited by ELaforge; June 30, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment