Connectors and nested faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connectors and nested faces

In a book by Shawn Zirbes, "Revit 2010-Family Standards and Best Practices" it said that placing connectors on a nested face is a bad idea and should not be done. So, I set up additional ref plane skeleton and constrained the connectors to the planes. Linking the ref plane skeleton parameters to the nested parameters broke the model, so I decided to test out the nested face. It all seems to be working correctly, but I wonder if this will come back to bite me later. Has anyone had issues with placing connectors on nested faces?

http://www.captiveaire.com/
    Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems

Originally posted by Randy_CpA View Post
    In a book by Shawn Zirbes, "Revit 2010-Family Standards and Best Practices" it said that placing connectors on a nested face is a bad idea and should not be done. ...
    Is there anything to support that statement in the book? I have made some tests, nesting family "A" into family "B", then, nesting "B" into "C". If I create a connector in family "B" on the face of nested family "A", and load "B" into a project, the connector works well in the project. Also, if I create a connector in family "C" on the face of nested family "B", and load "C" into a project, the connector works well in the project. Tested in Revit MEP 2012.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Can´t say for sure, but I don´t see how it could come back and bite you, UNLESS the nested family gets deleted from the parent family... In that case the connector in the main family would probably get deleted too.

A shame that connectors can´t be nested...
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
        Is there anything to support that statement in the book?
        Nope, the info is at the end of the connector chapter in a section called "Limitations" with no example.

Thank you both for verifying

http://www.captiveaire.com/
        Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems

Comment