Differences in Detail Family Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences in Detail Family Templates

I'm wanting to create some Detail Families. I'm thinking this is best bet for my Drafting Views and my single-line schematic "typical details" that I'll be creating. I see two different templates:
    • Detail Item line based.rft
    • Detail Item.rft

I'm not sure I fully understand the "line based" Detail Item RFT file? Anyone mind shining some light on this for me before I begin? Thanks!

- Tannar
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

line based DC's are objects with an instance based length property that are drawn by placing a start and end point similar to drawing a line. On the architectural side it is things like plywood sheathing, GWB, vapor barrier etc. They can also have arrays in them that are useful for repeating elements - CMU, furring strips.

DC's are objects that generally have a fixed size - 2x4, 2x6, window sills.

it's best explained through experience - in the OOTB components the AISC Angle Shapes-Side is a line-based component, AISC Angle Shapes-Section is a standard DC. create a project and place both and see how they behave
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I'm not sure I would create families for your drafting view details. It's not really a detail component, it sounds like it's an actual detail.

I would create several drafting views in a blank revit file. Name them correctly. Then, in your projects, you can use the Insert>from file option to pull them into your project. When you choose a file to insert from, it opens a dialogue listing all your drafting views (or sheets (yes, you can have them already on sheets) or schedules) with a check box next to it. It shows you a preview of the detail as you select it. You can even have sections and elevations (as drafting views, not live). So, if you have a drafting view that is referenced and you pull in that view, the referenced view comes in automatically.

And, if you create another drafting view detail in a project, you can use the insert from file to bring it into your detail project for use later.

It's pretty sweet. I'd look into it for your typical details.
      Dan

Comment

Ah....so they dropped "Component" in 2013....
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment