Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating 3D Component?

is there such a thing?

Exposed Rafters in 3D. Company i work for more and more are doing federation style homes with exposed rafters to the front facade. i am contemplating making a repeating 3d component with parameters to control the length, pitch, width, spacing etc..

is there such a thing that can be done for a 3d element? i know you can for a 2d element, but it would make my life that much easier if something was able to happen in 3d environment.

Two options, Beam system with a framing member, or a line based generic model family (set to whatever catergory you want) with a nested family which could be arrayed

Which option you use would depend on the flexibility you need in the component
    Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-May View Post
      Two options, Beam system with a framing member, or a line based generic model family (set to whatever catergory you want) with a nested family which could be arrayed

Which option you use would depend on the flexibility you need in the component
      cheers, the nested family with an array sounds like it might be my best option

Comment

I wouldn't use beam system with these. It will probably just behave all quirky and weird (like all Revit beams). So I would go with the GM Family.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Piggybacking off of original question, how would a nested rafter tail be controlled (slope & length) within a generic model line-based family?

I have a rafter tail that flexes the way I want using a reference line, but I can't seem to combine the two and make it all work. Is the reference line the wrong approach? What parameters should and should not be in the nested family, and likewise for the host line-based family?

Comment

Originally posted by six8 View Post
            Piggybacking off of original question, how would a nested rafter tail be controlled (slope & length) within a generic model line-based family?

I have a rafter tail that flexes the way I want using a reference line, but I can't seem to combine the two and make it all work. Is the reference line the wrong approach? What parameters should and should not be in the nested family, and likewise for the host line-based family?
            Are you using a nested family? Arrays without nested families are difficult to manage (although not impossible)
            Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

Welcome to the forum, six8. :beer:

Originally posted by Ben-May View Post
              Are you using a nested family? Arrays without nested families are difficult to manage (although not impossible)
              Correct. Not only it would be difficult, but it is not recommended. As soon as you make an array of many local items, Revit complains, suggesting you to use nested items instead of local items, in order to avoid performance issues.
              Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Here is an example for you to reverse engineer
                Attached Files
                Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Thanks guys. I was using a nested family but had an over-constraint issue somewhere. User error.

Started over from scratch this morning and have it all working on a basic level.

Scott, thanks for the family. I'm sure I'll learn something from it.

Comment