turning model text into a void

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turning model text into a void

Hello. I am just learning revit, and i was wondering if there is a way to turn model text into a void so that it can cut through solid model geometry. (I have a nameplate and i want the text to be laser cut into it, rather than placed on the surface of the plate).

Thanks!

Originally posted by czesia View Post
    Hello. I am just learning revit, and i was wondering if there is a way to turn model text into a void so that it can cut through solid model geometry. (I have a nameplate and i want the text to be laser cut into it, rather than placed on the surface of the plate).

Thanks!
    use the text as a background to create the voids from, dump the text, and use the voids to cut the model
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

There might be other ways, but I would do this:

Type a text with a true type font in AutoCAD. Using Express tools, explode the text into lines. Do some cleanup, removing some lines that the tool creates between the parts of some letters. Then save this dwg.

In Revit, in the family editor, in a face based family, do Home > Void Extrusion > Import CAD > bring in your dwg text into the sketch. You might need to do some trimming to fix some joins between the lines. Then specify the depth and finish the sketch. Now, add a solid extrusion for the plate. Then do Cut Geometry > select the plate, select the void text. Load into project.
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Please Vote for the 3 Best Posts of the Month of March 2011

create your model text as you would normally and set the plane so the text is embedded on the face of the wall or system family that you want to engrave the text on.
        Use your join geometry tool on the wall and the model text - This makes revit cutout the model text from the wall.
        Now just set the material of your model text to have a 100% transparency
        Note :-
        Join the text to the wall (sequence)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mark b; March 3, 2011, 01:28 AM.
        Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mark b View Post
          ...Join the text to the wall
          Interesting approach. When I try to reproduce these steps, I get this error: "One element is completely inside another". How do you bypass this error message?

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
            Interesting approach. When I try to reproduce these stpes, I get this error: "One element is completely inside another". How do you bypass this error message?
            Select Join Geom. select text then select wall. If you select wall then text you will get error.
            Mark Balsom

Comment

ah, I see. However, the only way it works for me is when the model text is somewhat half inside, half outside of the wall. Then, if I join the text to the wall, and then do the extra step of hiding the model text, I finally get the result. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                ah, I see. However, the only way it works for me is when the model text is somewhat half inside, half outside of the wall. Then, if I join the text to the wall, and then do the extra step of hiding the model text, I finally get the result. Very cool.
                My process is , set plane by pick, select wall face, load model text onto face, then I give text a negative value, then join text to wall.
                Change material to transparent.
                Mark Balsom

Comment

Originally posted by mark b View Post
                  ...Change material to transparent.
                  Yes, that would be the equivalent of hiding a model text that is joined but half inside, half outside, and then hiding the text.

A lot easier than going into "that other program" as I did initially. And, in this way, you can still edit the text. Awesome!

Comment

Just an update Alf, you can use my method and don't make text transparent just "hide" it in view.
                    Today wasn't wasted I have learn't somthing new !!
                    Mark Balsom

Comment