Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curved Curtain Wall

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Curved Curtain Wall

    I need to make a curved curtain wall. I know that the more curtain grids you place the smoother the "curve" will be, but it will still be faceted. How do you recommend going about creating a curved parametric panel?

    #2
    Never done it, but I think that I´d create a custom curtain panel with a radius, and also make the horizontal "mullions" part of the panel (if they need to be curved too ?)

    BTW - Who on heavens earth can afford a curved curtain wall these days ?
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
      BTW - Who on heavens earth can afford a curved curtain wall these days ?
      I see lots of curved glass in curtain walls, glass railings, etc but have yet to do one in Revit. I'm sure it's just around the corner so I'm paying attention here
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

      Comment


        #4
        Two ways you could do it.

        1. The cheat way, create a curved wall, make the wall thickness your glass thickness with a glass material. Then for mullions do them with horizontal and vertical wall sweeps, make your own profile. (see image). cheating I know but if you want it done quick and not worried to much about fine detail "and" you also get curved mullions ( which i don't think would happen in the real world ?)

        2. Or make a custom curved curtain panel set at you desired radius and swap out panels.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mark b; February 15, 2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: wrong panel
        Mark Balsom

        If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

        Comment


          #5
          Curtain Wall panels are straight segments and you would need to figure out the radius to create a curved panel.
          I would create a mass in your project and us the Curtain System by Face tool, you can create the curtain grids and mullions the same way as you would for Curtain wall.

          Comment


            #6
            I haven't looked for this in a while since the cost is prohibitive for 99.999% of projects but there is a a curved curtain panel in the old Revit Libraries; at least in the 2009 libraries (I can't check 2011 since goBIM is trying to export a model right now) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/ar...tml/index.html
            Originally posted by t1shep View Post
            I need to make a curved curtain wall. I know that the more curtain grids you place the smoother the "curve" will be, but it will still be faceted. How do you recommend going about creating a curved parametric panel?
            -J
            http://about.me/JayZallan
            Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JBZ View Post
              I haven't looked for this in a while since the cost is prohibitive for 99.999% of projects but there is a a curved curtain panel in the old Revit Libraries; at least in the 2009 libraries (I can't check 2011 since goBIM is trying to export a model right now) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/ar...tml/index.html
              The second attachment in post #4 is a Curved Curtain Wall Panel family with adjustable radius just adjust radius to suit your requirements.
              Mark Balsom

              If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

              Comment


                #8
                http://www.screencast.com/t/iemnCX2Kkga
                oK. I'm trying to recreate what you did Mark. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I create a parametric arc that has a flexible radius and a flexible length?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by t1shep View Post
                  http://www.screencast.com/t/iemnCX2Kkga
                  oK. I'm trying to recreate what you did Mark. What am I doing wrong? Why can't I create a parametric arc that has a flexible radius and a flexible length?
                  Open the family I posted and have a look at it. If you delete the panel you will notice that under the panel is a 'curved reference line" which is being driven by the radius dimension and the panel is attached to the reference line.
                  There is an eaiser way to make Curved curtain Wall in my other post.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mark b; March 8, 2011, 10:15 PM.
                  Mark Balsom

                  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    1103011_ADMIN ENTRY.jpgOK...I am sort of close to what I want...I was able to create the curved piece that I was after, but now I need it to do a little something different...See attached image.
                    What I'm really trying to create are curved terracotta baguettes (sunshade.) I have different radius curves at different areas of the building. There are some instances where the there are two tangent curves together, and most of the time they transition into a straight segment. In addition, the lengths of the louvers vary, as does the material/color.
                    As an in-place family, I can obviously create these. But they all become instances/ individual families and become a bear to edit and change the properties of.
                    Any thoughts on an efficient, easy to manipulate and modify technique for doing this?

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X