Challenge: A parametric corner piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
    ...Probably also not the most efficient way (although I also got stuck on the impossibility to convert integer or number values to model text). Bloated the family to 9,7mb.....
    Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer... :beer: (and in this case, some longer formulas)

Here you have it with 3D digitals, and st, nd, rd, etc... prefixed to the date
    Attached Files
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Ha! you actually did the formula with the 60 embedded if's for the minutes! argh... I wish the Factory would give us a simple function to convert reals or integers values to text, so that we don't have to do this.

Well, your clock is awesome!
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
        Ha! you actually did the formula with the 60 embedded if's for the minutes! argh...
        Yah, not really the way I wanted to solve it :banghead: but it works, without exploding the file size
        Would be very nice if factory could build in a function to recognize characters vs. numbers and let us use number inputs for formulas, even if in a "text" field... I know nothing about programming in Revit, but something like this would be fairly easy in PHP (PCRE Patterns)
        Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
          Yah, not really the way I wanted to solve it :banghead: but it works, without exploding the file size
          I'm not going to comment on that one... .
          But since when was the limitation on nested if's removed? I thought one could only go as far as 5 or 6.
          About the text to numbers: isn't it possible to use shared parameters in the family and assign a key schedule in the project?
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Didn´t realize that we ever had a limitation on the if statements... but then again, I´ve never had to do sixty of them before...

Just added a real digital display to the family

Everyone -This family is just for the fun of it, but even if you don´t need a clock family, I´d strongly recommend checking it out if you´re interested in formulas and angular driven geometry :beer:
            Attached Files
            Klaus Munkholm

Comment

nice watch Klaus.
              unfortunally it doesn't run on my pc. it is just idle.
              wondering what specs i need, to make it run...:beer:

-rpict

Comment

Batteries are not included... you´ll have to buy those separately
                Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Munkholm´s clock is already my first nominee for the best post of the month. Amazing Revit skills! A clock with hours, minutes, and seconds, without using angular dimensions.
                  Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

So now that I have "idiot-proofed" the clock so it is not possible for Bozo the Clown to make a mistake (Thirty Days Hath September...), what is the solution to ensure that Bozo can include the year yet enter February 29 is only for a leap year?

Perhaps if Bozo makes a mistake and enters an impossible value, he should be prompted with a dialog box to make a different selection?!?

Not, of course, that any of us reading this post have anything better to do with our time...

[Note the smaller file size, corrected spelling in the parameter the modified hands to remove the "overlap" extrusion at the center circle. I think there is a name for this behavior - Obsessive Complusive Disorder? ]

(Update: Simplified and shortened a few formulas and corrected a reference in the attachment. Sorry)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by phyllisr; February 22, 2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Are you guys serious ?? This is insane, are we building designers or clock makers ?? I think it is time to turn off your computers, go outside, and find a life !! :laugh:
                      This is "formula madness" :crazy:
                      Last edited by mark b; February 22, 2011, 10:34 AM.
                      Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment