Easy Parametric Polygons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    ... and all of the Profiles Parameters are driven by Parameters in the Door Family themselves.
    Yes, in the family, but it is still not possible to pass that control of the profile to the project because there is not a button to associate Profile with a family parameter.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; January 29, 2019, 02:13 PM. Reason: grammar
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Ahh. Well, you said Controllable by Parameters, which i took to mean have the constraints in the Profile Family controlled by parameters in the family, which are then controlled by the parameters you see in the Properties Palette in the project... All of which works.

I doubt we will get Parametric swappable Profiles, ever.

I would love it, if we did. But it would mean the Family Editor having to reconcile that one Profile may have 6 parameters tied to Family Parameters, and swapping to another profile might only have 4. Then swapping it back, it would have to *re pick-up* the extra two parametric constraints. Right now, Revit has no way to handle that, which is a much bigger issue than the swappable profiles.

Granted, i guess they wouldnt HAVE to handle it at all. I mean, they let us swap doors, and they dont handle it at all, lol. Alas, im skeptical we will ever see that one.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        But it would mean the Family Editor having to reconcile that one Profile may have 6 parameters tied to Family Parameters, and swapping to another profile might only have 4. Then swapping it back, it would have to *re pick-up* the extra two parametric constraints. Right now, Revit has no way to handle that, which is a much bigger issue than the swappable profiles.
        We can dream!
        Greg McDowell Jr
        about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

For who wants a parametric polygon profile, see attached example. This is a 16-side polygon, defined by one parameter (D = diameter, inscribed), but using this method you can make any number of sides.

Drawback: you can't determine the number of sides, only the diameter.

To use in a family as profile, you need to assign a parameter in the type properties of the profile.

(PS: I used D for the definition because I needed the diameter in the parent family, so made the R-calculation in the profile itself).
          assign parameter to profile.JPG
          Attached Files

Comment

It can be very simply created using Reference Lines. Just Check my attached family.
            If you find it useful and for any info you can contact,
            Mail : [email protected]
            Attached Files

Comment