Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Family Types

Hi All,

We have some families that contian 2-3 family types.
    I am looking at creating a catalogue file for most of our familes, which as we know, will create the family type for us through the txt file.
    What I hvae noticed though is when I go into the family and try to delete the family types, not all of them get removed, there is always one that remains.
    How can I get rid of all the family types in a family?

Cheers
    Andrew Harp
    BIM Manager GHD
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
    If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Always needs to be one "type" otherwise you have no family. If you make any new family from scratch you will notice there will be "Type 1" generated as default
    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

hmmmmm, not sure that this is true. Screenshot shows new family with Family Types dialigue box open. The type name is blank. I can create geometry and parameters without creating a family type.
      If I create a catalogue file, the family types will be created in the project as needed but not in the family file.

New Family.jpg
      Andrew Harp
      BIM Manager GHD
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
      If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment

Yep, your right. Just tested and can delete types back to blank drop box. Should have tested first. wwill have a look later.
        Mark Balsom

Comment

Hmmm....Interesting, just like I thought, just checked a couple of my window families that I have been using for years with "Catalogue File" and yep it has "1 type" in drop down box that your can't deleted.
          Mark Balsom

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe mark b used to be right. In the old days you needed at least one type. Nowadays, Revit will automatically create a ghost-type which has the family name as type name when loaded in a project.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I don't have previous versions here to test this, but I can report what happens in RAC 2012: A type is not necessary for a family to be valid. In absence of the type, Revit consider the family name as the type name. Also, even if there is only one type created in the family, I can delete it from the Family Types window. But I remember seeing other cases when the last type got stuck there. Maybe in families created with templates from older versions? I don't know. But as least in new families created in RAC2012, deleting the only type is possible.
              Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Just tested this in both RAC 2011 and 2012, by opening a family with multiple Types from a project, and in neither case, am I allowed to delete the last Type in a family...
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                  Just tested this in both RAC 2011 and 2012, by opening a family with multiple Types from a project, and in neither case, am I allowed to delete the last Type in a family...
                  Yeah, but that's a different workflow. You're coming from a project environment. What happens when you open the families from library?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                    Yeah, but that's a different workflow. You're coming from a project environment. What happens when you open the families from library?
                    Same thing. Look at the attached file, from the library. It has several types. All the types can be deleted, including the last one.
                    Attached Files
                    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment