Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formulas Type Parameters - Switches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    If you really want a drop down, theres an easy way to do it:

    A Family type parameter. Nest in the three "options" as different families, unshared. Then use a family type parameter to switch between them, and whatever else theyre controlling.

    The only downside is in the project environment if you have more of those categories loaded....
    I looked at this when creating a custom Multi Category label (nesting labels in a multiline MC-label). But I don't think that it's possible to do this with annotation families. Or is the Titleblock a little different than other annotation families?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
      I looked at this when creating a custom Multi Category label (nesting labels in a multiline MC-label). But I don't think that it's possible to do this with annotation families. Or is the Titleblock a little different than other annotation families?
      It is possible with annotation families, yes, and it is possible with titleblocks as well. Actually, a generic annotation familiy can be converted into a titleblock by just changing its category.

      The following paragraph and the attached illustration come from one of my old posts in Augi about this:

      "Another solution for this issue of swapping notes with different contents is this: One host annotation family with one family type parameter for generic annotations, and a set of generic annotation families nested into. For example, the file "Notes.rfa" hosts the following files: "Note 1.rfa", "Note 2.rfa", "Note 3.rfa", etc. These files shall have descriptive names, according to their content. By doing this, the family maker can create the notes independently, without any visual clutter. In addition, the host file needs very few parameters, maybe just one: the family type parameter. No need to use visibility parameters nor any formulas. On the other side, the end user just inserts "Notes" and then simply chooses, for example: "Note for Acme", "Note for Abc", etc."
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

      Comment


        #23
        But is this possible in a Multi Category tag? I'm trying to accomplish this with the attached tag. I recreated all the different labels in seperate families. But I can't nest these in the MC family to refer to.
        What I want to accomplish is similar to Alex' OP: I want to be able to swap the different labels.

        The current tag is composed of 11 lines of text labels:
        Mark (system value)
        Omschr0 to Omschr9 (which would add up to Description 1 to 9)
        Each Omschr-parameter is a type parameter, which holds a text description of the item tagged.

        Say I would want to tag a wall made of different layers.
        Layer 1: Exterior brickwork
        Layer 2: Air cavity
        Layer 3: Insulation
        Layer 4: Interior brick wall.

        Or a floor, roof, or any other component made out of different parts which I want to name in the tag.
        Using this tag I can fill in all the text labels to create one single tag.

        Why not use Material Keynotes? Well, because these layers often have multiple lines. For instance, a standard tag for this wall would contain the next lines:

        Omschr 0: Exterior brickwork, size axb
        Omschr 1: Color
        Omschr2: Mortar to be used
        Omschr3: Air cavity 30mm
        Omschr 4: 100mm insulation, manufacturer and type
        Omschr 5: fixation by....
        Omschr6: 100mm interior brickwork
        Omschr7: mortar to be used
        omschr8: finish (if not modelled seperately)

        This tag is normally used in a detail view. In a section view I would use the same tag, but only some lines (omschr 0,1,3,4,6,8). Because I can set the visibility for each line but I can't change the order in which the lines are displayed I have to use multiple tags and align them manually (tag1 for lines 0+1, tag2 for lines 3 and 4, etc)

        I posted an example of this workflow earlier in this thread

        If I could select the shared parameter which each label is referring to, I would be able to do this in 1 tag. But I never got this to work properly... Any ideas?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mdradvies; January 30, 2011, 11:41 PM. Reason: clarification
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
          It is possible with annotation families, yes, and it is possible with titleblocks as well. Actually, a generic annotation familiy can be converted into a titleblock by just changing its category.

          The following paragraph and the attached illustration come from one of my old posts in Augi about this:

          "Another solution for this issue of swapping notes with different contents is this: One host annotation family with one family type parameter for generic annotations, and a set of generic annotation families nested into. For example, the file "Notes.rfa" hosts the following files: "Note 1.rfa", "Note 2.rfa", "Note 3.rfa", etc. These files shall have descriptive names, according to their content. By doing this, the family maker can create the notes independently, without any visual clutter. In addition, the host file needs very few parameters, maybe just one: the family type parameter. No need to use visibility parameters nor any formulas. On the other side, the end user just inserts "Notes" and then simply chooses, for example: "Note for Acme", "Note for Abc", etc."
          Exactly what I was looking for, and my brain is starting to figure out all the different areas I could use this system!!!. MORE REP POINTS!!!
          -Alex Cunningham

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            But is this possible in a Multi Category tag? I'm trying to accomplish this with the attached tag. I recreated all the different labels in seperate families. But I can't nest these in the MC family to refer to.
            ... Any ideas?
            Martijn,

            So far, I dont' see a way to do this. These are two roads which both go to a dead end:

            :banghead: 1) A multi-category tag can receive generic annotation families as nested, but generic annotation families don't accept shared parameters. Therefore, we can't have a multi-category tag that works with shared parameters and at the same time has labels that swap generic annotation families with a family type parameter.

            :banghead: 2) Generic model tag families can accept shared parameters but cannot be nested into the Multi-category tag. Therefore, again, we can't have a multi-category tag that works with shared parameters and at the same time has labels that swap model tag families with a family type parameter.
            Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
              Martijn,

              So far, I dont' see a way to do this. These are two roads which both go to a dead end:

              :banghead: 1) A multi-category tag can receive generic annotation families as nested, but generic annotation families don't accept shared parameters. Therefore, we can't have a multi-category tag that works with shared parameters and at the same time has labels that swap generic annotation families with a family type parameter.

              :banghead: 2) Generic model tag families can accept shared parameters but cannot be nested into the Multi-category tag. Therefore, again, we can't have a multi-category tag that works with shared parameters and at the same time has labels that swap model tag families with a family type parameter.
              Hi Alf,

              This is as far as I could take it myself... Too bad, but thanks for checking. Always a b***h when you find out you missed on checkbox in order for it to work. Still have the feeling I am missing out on something though. Can't put my finger on it. So I'll be working on it some more when I have the time.

              One question though: If I were to go for option 1, would the nested GA's still reflect on the item tagged? Or is the GA only referencing "itself" My current tag has the nice feature that the parameters "omschrijving 0-9" are dependent of the type of element. So, if I were to tag Wall type 1 and reuse this somewhere else in the project, it will have the same (consistent) text notes automatically.
              I think this isn't the case when using GA's is it?
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
                ... Still have the feeling I am missing out on something though. Can't put my finger on it. ...
                Me too. Sometimes the pillow is the best consultant... maybe in a couple of days some solution might come up.
                Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

                Comment


                  #28
                  There are pros and cons to all of the systems, but that one with Shared Parameters has massive holes in it too. We use all of the different systems, for different levels of detail, which is a decent compromise.

                  We use Material keynotes for Large Sections and Details, where we call out the individual elements.
                  We use Item Keynotes or Tag-Type Comments/Description Tags by Element, at the Building Section / Elevation views where we want more general notes.

                  You can circumvent the Keynotes with your own system, but Revit has enough holes that none of them will work perfectly. That system would scare the heck out of me, since the objects materials arent driving the note, the notes are all at the element level for something very detailed. If someone swaps out GYP for PLYWD, they also need to remember to go change the notes?
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    There are pros and cons to all of the systems, but that one with Shared Parameters has massive holes in it too. We use all of the different systems, for different levels of detail, which is a decent compromise.

                    We use Material keynotes for Large Sections and Details, where we call out the individual elements.
                    We use Item Keynotes or Tag-Type Comments/Description Tags by Element, at the Building Section / Elevation views where we want more general notes.

                    You can circumvent the Keynotes with your own system, but Revit has enough holes that none of them will work perfectly. That system would scare the heck out of me, since the objects materials arent driving the note, the notes are all at the element level for something very detailed. If someone swaps out GYP for PLYWD, they also need to remember to go change the notes?
                    Yep, you would. But I have one rule: do NOT "change" materials without creating a new type. When creating a new type the tags automatically disappear. In the properties you can reselect them using a dropdown that automatically remembers previous entries and changed ones you retype.
                    I do agree though: this one is not usefull for large firms with a lot of people using the notes.
                    Martijn de Riet
                    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                    MdR Advies
                    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                      It is possible with annotation families, yes, and it is possible with titleblocks as well. Actually, a generic annotation familiy can be converted into a titleblock by just changing its category.

                      The following paragraph and the attached illustration come from one of my old posts in Augi about this:

                      "Another solution for this issue of swapping notes with different contents is this: One host annotation family with one family type parameter for generic annotations, and a set of generic annotation families nested into. For example, the file "Notes.rfa" hosts the following files: "Note 1.rfa", "Note 2.rfa", "Note 3.rfa", etc. These files shall have descriptive names, according to their content. By doing this, the family maker can create the notes independently, without any visual clutter. In addition, the host file needs very few parameters, maybe just one: the family type parameter. No need to use visibility parameters nor any formulas. On the other side, the end user just inserts "Notes" and then simply chooses, for example: "Note for Acme", "Note for Abc", etc."
                      I have attached the family I created based on Alfredo's quoted post. Works like a charm. Thanks Again
                      Attached Files
                      -Alex Cunningham

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X