Parameter Group sort order and usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parameter Group sort order and usage

I have been working on documenting Parameter Group sort order to make it a little easier to choose which group to use based on wanting regularly accessed and changed info easily accessible, and less used info at the bottom of the list (formulas in Other, etc). There are some very intentional (if sadly undocumented) differences between the alphabetical list of Groups you choose from, and the order you actually see. Also, there are some minor differences what order you see in the Family Editor vs what order you see in the Project environment, and also differences between Annotation families and Component families. I have not yet gone through the exercise of verifying if System families have their own proclivities or not.
    In any case, the list here shows component family sorting, Family Editor compared to Project environment. The thing to notice is that Identity Data is at the very bottom of the list in the Family Editor, but only about half way down the list in the Project environment.

Family Editor
    Constraints
    Construction
    Rebar Set
    Graphics
    Text
    Materials and Finishes
    Electrical
    Electrical Engineering
    Electrical - Lighting
    Electrical - Loads
    Plumbing
    Mechanical
    Mechanical - Airflow
    Mechanical - Loads
    Structural
    Layers
    Slab Shape Edit
    Dimensions
    Phasing
    Structural Analysis
    Energy Analysis
    IFC Parameters
    Analytical Model
    Fire Protection
    Title Text
    Green Building Properties
    Photometrics
    Analysis Results
    Model Properties
    General
    Electrical - Circuiting
    Data
    Visibility
    Overall Legend
    Analytical Alignment
    Other
    Identity Data
    Project
    Constraints
    Construction
    Rebar Set
    Graphics
    Text
    Materials and Finishes
    Electrical
    Electrical Engineering
    Electrical - Lighting
    Electrical - Loads
    Plumbing
    Mechanical
    Mechanical - Airflow
    Mechanical - Loads
    Structural
    Layers
    Slab Shape Edit
    Dimensions
    Identity Data
    Phasing
    Structural Analysis
    Energy Analysis
    IFC Parameters
    Analytical Model
    Fire Protection
    Title Text
    Green Building Properties
    Photometrics
    Analysis Results
    Model Properties
    General
    Electrical - Circuiting
    Data
    Visibility
    Overall Legend
    Analytical Alignment
    Other

The subtle difference between Annotation families and Component families is that while the lists sort the same in the Family Editor, in the Project environment Layers and Slab Shape Edit are reversed for Annotations in the Project environment.

Also, I have some questions on some of these groupings. For example...
    Does anyone use Title Text group? If so, what for?
    General & Data are both at the bottom of the list. Anyone using them for things users don't need to see?
    Anyone using Model Properties for anything? Maybe some Project Info stuff?
    Constraints, Dimensions, Construction. Anyone developed any standards as to what goes where?
    Last but not least, Layers? WFT? What is THAT used for? :hide:

Anyway, hope this list proves useful to folks.

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon Price; November 11, 2011, 03:25 AM.
    Pragmatic Praxis

Constraints: We put all of what we call "Family wide" parameters in here: Calculation shared parameters (made invisible in the project so the user doesnt see them) and parameters where the value is put in the formula column (so its for all types)
    Dimensions: We put "major" dimensions of the family
    Other: We put "minor" parameters
    Construction: we put specification parameters in here (ie: mainly text parameters, eg. for Doors: Latchset, Lock, Handle, Doorstop, etc etc)

"Title text" is a classic; when I started using Revit the first thing I did was make our companies titleblocks and I used the existing AutoCAD ones to start off with.
    A layer in my AutoCAD titleblock was called "Title text" and I assumed it had somehow populated the "Groups" options - for months (while setting up standards etc) I made sure when I imported AutoCAD dwgs I deleted all the layers so that new groups werent created:banghead:
    Last edited by Alex Page; November 11, 2011, 04:21 AM.
    Alex Page
    RevitWorks Ltd
    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Constraints: I use for anything related to how the family is constrained to a host (if any) - This is also how Revit works behind the scenes, like with a door family, you can't see these parameters while working on the family, but once loaded to a project, it will have both "Level" and "Sill Height" which are both grouped under constraints.

Dimensions: All user defined dimensions, affecting the geometry of the actual object.

Other: All formulas, unless the result belongs in another group. (Have used "Analysis Results" for this too)

Construction: Pretty much as Alex suggested, but more often it's a "Family Type:" parameter, to swap nested objects.

Layers: Never used them... But suppose they are meant to be layers as in wall layers, and not AutoCAD layers...

Title Text: Am using it for a specific list of parameters in sheets, to control a "Distribution List" - But that's just because that group was empty and available...

General and Data: Don't believe I have ever used them, and wouldn't know what to use them for.
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Constraints: Everything regarding the element's host (like Klaus)
        Dimensions: All user defined dimensions
        Other: All calculation parameters and other stuff everybody should keep their hands off.
        Construction: All parameters related to the physical appearance of the family (Family Type, but also amount of shelves in a cabinet.

General: have seen them used by manufacturers for general contact info.
        Model Properties: same, but also specific component info while General was more about the manufacturer
        Data: same as model properties.

Title text: never used it.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment