Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parametric Cupboards!

Hi all, first proper post so here goes!

I am creating some joinery for an apartment, until now have been creating from scratch etc., quite time consuming. So I decided to make a family- however the problem I am running into is how to get the carcass to appear/create itself when the width goes over a certain amount, say 500.
    Any ideas? I hope the attached image helps.

Thanks!

Joinery.jpg
    www.moleculeweb.com

Not sure what a carcass is, but assuming it's a piece of geometry:

Create a new yes/no parameter "Show Carcass" and enter something like this in the formula field: if(width > 500)
    Now, just tie the visibility of the carcass geometry to the new parameter, and you should be good to go.

And welcome to the forum BTW. :beer:
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Hmm I am half way there, but it is telling me that "> operator not expected"

Is there anything more that I need to do?

Thanks for the welcome!
      www.moleculeweb.com

Comment

I think, that you only need to put "width>500" in the formular.. Since its just yes/no it will figure it out it self..

Comment

Sorry, my bad. The formula should not use the if statement, but only:

Width > 500
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Great! Thanks muchly.
            www.moleculeweb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
              Sorry, my bad. The formula should not use the if statement, but only:

Width > 500

I am trying to do this formula, but it's not working. I have a yes/no parameter set up and the formula I am using is =Length > 93" but Revit gives me an "invalid formula" error. What am I missing??

Thanks!

Comment

can you post a screenshot?

in the family you don't need the = since it is implicit in the formula field. The other thing to check is the parameter Length. Is it spelled correctly, capitalized correctly etc?
                Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
                  can you post a screenshot?

in the family you don't need the = since it is implicit in the formula field. The other thing to check is the parameter Length. Is it spelled correctly, capitalized correctly etc?
                  Sorry, the way I wrote that was kind of confusing. I did not add an extra =. Additionally, the parameter is spelled and capitalized correctly. The REAL formula I want to use is:

Side Door Swing In = if(and(Side Door, not(Length < 93")), "True", "False")

but I get an error with that, so I thought breaking it down in to multiple parameters may solve that? I'd rather focus on making this long one work than spend time on the short formula. The error I get is "inconsistent units," so I tried dividing and multiplying the Length by 1, as seen in other posts, but that doesn't change anything. What I'm really trying to say is if the "Side Door" extrusion is set to visible, and the "Length" of the stall is greater than or equal to 7'-9", then the door will "Swing In." Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way?

Comment

Sorry, the way I wrote that was kind of confusing. I did not add an extra =. Additionally, the parameter is spelled and capitalized correctly. The REAL formula I want to use is:

Side Door Swing In = if(and(Side Door, not(Length < 93")), "True", "False")

but I get an error with that, so I thought breaking it down in to multiple parameters may solve that? I'd rather focus on making this long one work than spend time on the short formula. The error I get is "inconsistent units," so I tried dividing and multiplying the Length by 1, as seen in other posts, but that doesn't change anything. What I'm really trying to say is if the "Side Door" extrusion is set to visible, and the "Length" of the stall is greater than or equal to 7'-9", then the door will "Swing In." Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way?

Comment