Masking Regions and Sub Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masking Regions and Sub Categories

I understand the advantage of putting Family model elements on Sub Categories is that you can selectively display them on and off via VG. I also understand that it is good practice to use Symbolic Lines to replace 3d elements in orthogonal views to help increase processing speed. It appears that Symbolic Lines can be placed on Sub Categories but Masking Regions cannot, which means that the display of these elements cannot be effectively controlled with VG. Does this undermine the use of Symbolic Lines as a display tool for families? Should symbolic lines be on the same Sub Category as the model elements they are replacing, or should they be on the Category? Is there a generally accepted best practice here please?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Generally speaking, I don't use masking regions in families. I will model what I want to see and use VG to control the sub categories as required.

Out of interest, what sort of family are you wanting to create with a masking region?
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Masking Regions are pretty neat for thing like Casework... i.e.

Base Cabinets:
      Hide all 3D elements in plan view, and create a Masking Region with subcategory set to “Hidden Lines [Projection]” and “Draw in Foreground” selected.
      This, to ensure that they will be displayed as dashed below the countertop.
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Ian: Nothing in particular, yet. But generally anything and everything. I've been creating furniture, joinery, spec equipment etc. for a few years but have not bothered with Masking Regions or Sub Categories to date. I understand they are considered good practice but was wondering how they should be implemented together.

Munkholm: How do you assign a Masking Region to a Sub Category? This is my whole issue - I can't see where to do that.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.

Comment

Anthony. You´d have to specify the Sub-Category (Line Style) for each of the lines defining the Masking Region.
          And can't change the Sub-Category of an existing Masking Region, without being in the "Edit Boundary" mode.

I´m attaching a document from the Seek Style Guide, which describes some of the situations where Masking Regions come in handy.
          Attached Files
          Klaus Munkholm

Comment

Hi Munkholm,
            Yes I can get the bounding lines of the Masking Region on to subcategories, but the masking region itself it still on the Category.
            Thanks for the portion of the RMCSG which I have read - but not for a while. The description of the placement of the masking regions on page 10 is a good one.
            However, the situation on page 20 is what I am trying to avoid: If this was my plan and I only wanted to show the dotted lines of the cabinet, I would not want to see the masking region here. I would want to see the floor pattern all the way through.
            maskingRegion.JPG
            I had the same issue when I was putting a masking region in my door plan symbol. I wanted to mask out the floor pattern underneath the door leaf. It worked fine in the floor plan but then when I wanted to view just a dotted outline version of the plan symbol in the Ceiling Plan I had to see the masking region too, but I did not want to see it here.
            I guess I could try to sort it out with judicial placement of the plane of the masking region, but it does seem that the region itself is always on the Category.

Anthony.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyB View Post
              ...the situation on page 20 is what I am trying to avoid: If this was my plan and I only wanted to show the dotted lines of the cabinet, I would not want to see the masking region here. I would want to see the floor pattern all the way through...
              Guess I just don't understand this part... Not how I would want it... The lines should be dashed because the cabinet it below a countertop. If there's no countertop, the lines should be solid, but in either case, I would not want to see the floor pattern beneath the cabinet.

And just in case we are not speaking the same language here... A Masking Region "drawn" with Hidden Lines, CAN be turned of in VG - See the attached.
              Attached Files
              Klaus Munkholm

Comment

I agree with you about the cabinets example. I was trying to be general in concept rather than specific.
                Lets look at another example: a washing machine on a tiled floor.
                SubCatOn.JPG
                I have put the model elements and the symbolic lines on the Appliances sub category. When that sub cat is turned off, the masking region remains.
                SubCatOff.JPG
                It is a visualization tool. Sometimes we want to see the appliances but on others we don't.
                Unless we can put the masking regions on a sub category, I don't see the value in using either sub categories or masking regions instead of model elements.

Comment

Unless we can put the masking regions on a sub category, I don't see the value in using either sub categories or masking regions instead of model elements.
                  A couple of ideas:
                  1 - Nest a family of Category 'something that you never use (pick something from the other disciplines)' into your Casework family. Put the Masking Region into the nested family. Depending on shared / not shared you should be able to turn it on and off individually with VG.
                  2 - Actually use a thin extrusion instead of a Masking Region.
                  Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
                  Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Still not sure that I follow why you need this, but let's stick to the washing machine for a second... If the washing machine is made in the mechanical category, and so is your dryers, then you want to turn of the washing machine but not the dryer in certain views?

If that's the case, you could run some hoops, like mentioned by Luke... But personally I'd add a "classification" parameter (or use one of the OOTB ones), and then use that parameter to control the visibility, using Filters.

I agree with you about the cabinets example. I was trying to be general in concept rather than specific.
                    Lets look at another example: a washing machine on a tiled floor
                    I have put the model elements and the symbolic lines on the Appliances sub category. When that sub cat is turned off, the masking region remains.
                    It is a visualization tool. Sometimes we want to see the appliances but on others we don't.
                    Last edited by Munkholm; October 20, 2011, 05:09 PM.
                    Klaus Munkholm

Comment