Parametric Circular Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parametric Circular Objects

I'm trying to create a circular gable vent that I can edit per-instance and I'm not sure how to apply constraints to the radius & trim thickness. With rectangular objects it's easy to align & lock but I can't manage to figure it out with radiused objects.

Thanks.

Drawing2-Model.jpg
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Grab the sketch lines and go to the proerties palette: Turn on center mark.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I hate to be dumb - but I'm still not getting it

I did have some luck using arcs instead of circles however. Is that the best way to go about it?

chad

Comment

1. Use the center mark option in the sketch mode to align both circles (inner & outer) on top of eachother.
        2. Dimension both Radi
        3. Use a Thickness Parameter for the user to control the thickness and not Inner and Outer.

Bjorn
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

10 char min...

chad

Comment

I appreciate the help. I have one last question (I think)

Is it possible to make the radius an instance based paramater and still have everything move relative to one another? When I try to switch it I get an error about using instance paramaters in formulas (similar to Bjorn's example)

Thanks.

chad

Comment

Do the inner 'circle' as 2 arcs (center-end method), locking one endpoint to a reference plane. Then do the outer circle as a circle.
              Attached Files
              Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
                I appreciate the help. I have one last question (I think)

Is it possible to make the radius an instance based paramater and still have everything move relative to one another? When I try to switch it I get an error about using instance paramaters in formulas (similar to Bjorn's example)

Thanks.
                You can't mix Instance and Type parameters in formulas, so if the Radius parameter is Instance based, so should the other parameters used in the formula be.
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                  You can't mix Instance and Type parameters in formulas, so if the Radius parameter is Instance based, so should the other parameters used in the formula be.
                  Not exactly. You can mix them, following certain rules. In this case, the inner radius (instance) can be = outer circle (instance) + thickness (type), meaning that you can have different types of 'donuts' by thickness, and the inner radius can still have pull handles.

instance = type works
                  instance = instance & type works
                  type = instance fails
                  type = instance & type fails
                  Attached Files
                  Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Cool! Have noticed that sometimes Revit allows a mix, but honestly never knew that it is based on a actual set of rules, as indicated in your table above - Just figured that it would be depending on what ever mood Revit was in on at the particular time.

Great tip, and a POTM nomination coming up. :beer:
                    Klaus Munkholm
                    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment