Masking Region in Sections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masking Region in Sections?

This has been a long standing problem, and I am not sure if anyone has found a reasonably graceful workaround/kludge. Figured I would check with the brain trust before I give up completely for this year.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

What exactly is the problem?

EDIT: You know, i never really registered the fact that youre in Portland. Theres a small chance i might be there week after next...
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

The issue is that a round masking region will actually mask the line separating detail number from sheet number, just like in an elevation. But if you do two semicircle masking regions like you would in an elevation, with lines managed in the sketch of the regions, they rotate with the angle of the section cut, but the text doesn't. Of course that is what we wanted in the freaking elevation, but that is another rant.

Well, if you are here, we should definitely hook up for :beer:.
      House of Sour may even have Bourbonic Plague on tap!

Gordon

Per their web site
      This blend of strong dark porters was aged in oak, wine and Bourbon barrels, then blended with a dark porter that had been brewed with vanilla beans and cinnamon. The blend was then aged an additional 14 months on dates. 12% ABV.
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Oooooh. I thought you meant in the Section View themselves!

There is an ugly workaround for that issue, that ive used in two of the four firms. Make a text style that is extremely small in the Section Head family. Make the "line" that runs across out of underscore characters. "_____________". Done correctly, you cant tell the difference. Its stupid that we have to, but yes... we have to.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Wow, that is a kludge only an Autodesk bean counter could love.
          I think I will, for another year, accept that the better answer is still no mask, and use a nice bold font. Tahoma does nicely, and doesn't move around like that abomination Arial. But it would be nice to make the list of "You can't do that in Revit" get a little shorter, a little faster.

Gordon
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I cant stand Tags and Annotations that dont mask. Ours dont in our current office standards, and the moment i get that freedom, im putting it back in. Looking at it, you honestly cant tell. It looks that close.

Its not about liking the workaround or not. There comes a time when its about delivering something, and that was what i had to deliver in the last office. Particularly with gigantic NCS compliant 5/8" Callout heads. They had to mask, because you didnt have a prayer of getting them on a drawing without covering something up, LOL.

Comment

Yeah, I would much prefer the mask. But with model patterns in gray consistently, a good choice of font, and a thicker than OOTB line weight for the symbol, I am pretty confident that the symbol dominates enough to be legible. Not ideal, but it works. It is just one more "Just do it this way, it will be OK, just different" that I would rather avoid.

Jeeze, 5/8"? I love the "standards" that are based on crap like 40 year old duplication technology. I don't think symbols that big have been needed since second generation diazo prints where being used to build things.

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

We dont follow the NCS here, unless its government work. Those standards are so arcane, its one of the fiew things i keep a redundant template for, LOL.

Comment