Wall Hosted Adaptive Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall Hosted Adaptive Family

I have created an adaptive family. It comprises of several different families, both adaptive and generic, nested into one. I'm trying to load the now nested family into a wall hosted family template - which CANNOT be done. However, I need a way to have this family penetrate a wall and host to it. I'm not limiting myself to just wall host, I am ok with face or any other host. I've tried to use a reference plane but I can't get the family to face the direction I want it to. And to add another bit of challenge, I need it to go from inside to outside. So the majority of the family it to the outside of a building. See the attached images. If my description isn't clear please let me know and I'll try to elaborate. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

You can load traditional family model into adaptive but not the other way around. Perhaps only way is to upload the family and see if users are able to recreate without using adaptive.

Comment

Hey Scroudx, yup, thanks, been running into that situation for a long time. One of the drawback of adaptive families @#!$*. Unfortunately, that's not really an option. The shapes and angles of the nested parts I'm using for the family are only able to be created in an adaptive family. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm coming up with some other work arounds.

Comment

I have a way to go myself to really understand adaptive components, but i think you can do everything you are asking with an AC family. You don't need to nest it into a 'hosted' type family -- nor can you as you've found -- but instead, just define the adaptive points as host driven instead of the default "instance". This worked for me. You can also include voids for cutting the object it is hosted to.

When placing, use the work plane option. If you use 'by face' and the direction is reversed, check the "Flip" box.

Jon
        Attached Files

Comment

I would have made it a "face based" family, and then just use a void element to cut the host.
          You need to check the "can cut host elements once loaded" option in the family parameters.

Comment