Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face based families with linked models?

I have a bit of a pickle.

We're building families that by nature are wall based (power sockets). The problem is that we're not building the architectural model, but receiving the IFC import from the architect.

While face based families work well with IFC file, the problem begins when there are changes to the model and after reloading the new one, the wall host is gone / relocated - which leads to the family being deleted.

I believe it is still better to have the family deleted and being able to track it in the error window, rather than having it floating in the air or inside the wall where noone can see it, but what's your opinion. Would you rather build such families as level based, or stick to face / wall based, even if that means occassional deletions upon reloading the model?

Thanks!

Face based families do not delete if the host is destructively edited (replaced, or deleted). They simply become unhosted. Unless its a symptom of the "host" being a face from an IFC Link, but i havent seen that happen before.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Great, thank you, I need to do some more testing on that in this case, for I'm getting some apparently incorrect information from other team members. Much appreciated

Comment

I would just do a simple test, create a file with 1 wall and make an IFC from it, then create a new file, place some families and move that wall redo your IFC and reload and see what happens, and then another test with deleting the wall. Would be the easiest way to observe the expected behavior in a way that wont bother your project

Comment

widgetinstance 211 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X