Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with wall based family.

Hi!

Made a new wall based family that looks good. But there is one problem.
    When i insert the family, the family itself don´t host on wall face, but 25mm in the wall.

Is there anybody out there who know a solution?

Attached is a project with the family attached.

Project1.png
    Attached Files

Try changing the wall width in the family editor... I bet that the geometry is not constrained to the wall face!?
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Apparently its not.

Brb.

Comment

So. Grouped the family and constrained it to wall. That did the trick!

Thank you Munkholm!

Comment

Another trick, is to first build it as an unhosted model, then nesting it in the wall hosted family. That way, it's very easy to control the geometry..

Comment

I have seen this happen on numerous occasions. The problem with the generic wall based family template is that the reference plan that controls where the wall face is inside of a project isn't directly visible. You need to rest your mouse on the edge of the wall, click on tab until you get that reference plan and extend it further so that when you create solids you lock it to that reference plan and it will always attach to the wall face correctly.

Comment

I too am having this problem but none of the solutions seem to work. Can anyone please help?!

Comment

Your family is not attached to reference planes. In family editor change the width of the wall and you will understand what I mean.

Comment

The wall based family default category is set to Generic Models. I've noticed that if You'll change it to structural frames category, the wall face constrain will die, and the constrain will move to the wall centerline...

Regards

Comment

What I have noticed (in multiple experiments) is that if you start with a generic wall based family, is that when it hosts to the wall, every time, the position is based on the "Location Line". So if I draw my wall as "Wall Centerline" or "core centerline" my generic wall based family hosts to that, no mater if my family is constrained to the Wall Edge or not and then the wall thickness in the family plays a part. But if it is constrained to the Wall Edge and hosted to a wall drawn to the "Finish Face", the family hosts correctly no matter the wall thickness in the family based on placement side. You may have to change views to place it, it doesn't always place right in 3D
                    Last edited by Squid; April 10, 2019, 03:30 PM. Reason: Added material

Comment