Gen Anno and Snapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gen Anno and Snapping

Good afternoon forum. I am having a issue with Generic Annotation not having any form of grip points to snap to once loaded into a project. I get around this by making the family a Title Block. I then get my snap points. Untill recently we used this method and nested over 50 families into one Title Block family. We now are useing Family Browser and want each family to be indapendant. Doing this will BLOAT my title block selections though. So I figured I would try changing them back to Gen Anno families. To my dismay Gen Anno families lose there snapping to anything!!!!

I cant copy and paste from Anno gamiles to Detail familes and there is no way in hell I will be remaking 5 sheet of notes again.

Is there a hack or solution to give me grip/snap points from a Gen Anno family?
    Attached Files
    -Alex Cunningham

Weird, I can set the Reflines to Strong References. Set all Model Lines to Not a Reference.
    Now it snaps to the side, but not to the top...

Weirder: it does snap to the end of something at the left side, around the height of point 15???? Could you verify this behaviour? I need a :whiskey:
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

here is a video of what i am talkin about.

2011-10-04_1446 - Alex_Cunningham's library

you can eaisly move the title block family and snap it into place. but you cant move the gen anno family the same way!!!!
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Yup, same behaviour here. I have no clue as to why it acts this way. At first I thought that it was snapping to the end of the Refline which you created on the left boundary of the GenAnno, but if I change that length, it still keeps doing this. Very strange indeed...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Who at ADESK came up with the limitations for the family types? They should be shot. Why do i feel like i am always battling Revit to do what is needed?
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I absolutely agree that some bad decisions have been hard-coded into our beloved Rvt. Current pet peeves: Cell height in schedules & the gdamm fixation with the centerline of a wall as a point of reference.

Comment

for annotation, to my best knowledge, using fill region is a way out for snapping, even though it's not needed most of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ning Zhou View Post
                for annotation, to my best knowledge, using fill region is a way out for snapping, even though it's not needed most of time.
                Thanks, I will try this ASAP.
                -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Brilliant!!! It works. Putting a filled region within the Gen Anno family will give you snap points on the family!!!
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Great improvement but it comes with an opaque . Right?
                    Once again, Revit only allows us to solve 99% of the problem. :banghead:
                    Great hint anyway!
                    Cheers!

Comment