Yes/No test of Text parameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes/No test of Text parameter?

I have long wanted to have a particular label be visible based on the presence of text in the label. For a watermark, for example. So I would want two parameters.
    Watermark Text as a text parameter, and Watermark Visible as a yes/no parameter. In traditional boolean logic Watermark Visible = If(Watermark Text) would work. Basically the visibility parameter is true if there is any data in the text parameter. Make the text parameter nil or empty and the visibility parameter is false. As far as I can tell this subtlety just isn't possible in Revit, because you can't do boolean logic with text strings in Revit. I am hoping someone has some nifty trick to address this, RFO being full of nifty tricksters. Otherwise I guess I am just looking for verification that there is no possum up this tree, and I might as well look at some less graceful approach.

Thanks!
    Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Barking up the wrong tree here, sorry... Cannot be done.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

, but not surprised. Thanks for the verification!

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Next best thing would be creating a Sheet List / Schedule which filters on the text parameter. If you use the Filter by "Contains" or "Does not contain" and leave the value-field empty it will show (in order) all instances not containing any data or all instances that do have the text parameter filled. Keep in mind that the more "natural" "Equals"/"Does not equal" doesn't work here.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I don't know how you handle the watermark, so this may or may not suit your needs. In the illustration, "Note" is the text parameter for the label. "Text" is an integer parameter, and "See label" is a Yes/No visibility parameter.The visibility of "Note" depends on "See label", and "See label" is equal to "Text > 0".
          Attached Files
          Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

When I get to work I will post the portion of my TTL block. Its a Family bases with intergers formula that only shows the For Review for the seal and only the seal thats on and if you want it on.
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment