Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

parametric wedge family - multiple angle parameters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parametric wedge family - multiple angle parameters?

hello all,

we are trying to create a model of a glass canopy that is made up of a series of folding triangles. i've included a concept sketch of what we are trying to create. it is modeled in revit, but cannot be controlled parametrically and does not use nested families. we would like to be able to create one wedge that could have different types and make up the entire canopy (so it can be controlled parametrically). in order to do this, it seems as though we need to make a variety of parameters including angle parameters that are tied to each other, and i have not had much experience with this so far.
    when i tried to make the wedge, i kept getting all these errors and i need some help figuring out how to get it to work. i've included additional sketches that (i hope) clarify the problem. if it isn't clear i would happily add more detailed sketches.

thanks so much in advance!
    tweg
    Attached Files

You´re on the right track, but don´t ever use ref. planes for things that needs to be angled, you´ll need ref. lines for that
    So basicly, just draw the shape with ref. planes, and dimensions with labels/parameters, test/flex it, and add the geometry when you skeleton of ref. lines am working as desired. (PS. Horizontal and Vertical ref.´s should still be ref. planes)
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

thanks for your quick reply!
      ok, i tried what you said but i haven't quite got it. the extrusion doesn't seem to like one of the parameters. i have attached the family i made. do you see any of the issues?
      also, i would like to control the dimensions of the depth, which i have attached an additional sketch about. not sure how to make this work. any ideas? thanks so much, we're in a pinch!

tweg
      Attached Files

Comment

Please forget about the geometry, until you have a working skeleton.
        • Get rid of all the ref. lines in you file.
        • Create a new ref. line from the intersection at the bottom right, and end it at the ref. plane to the left, and lock it to that ref. plane.
        • Dimension it and add your label/parameter to it.
        • Flex
        • Flex
        • And more flexing
        • If you did it right, and it working, proceed to the next step.
        Attached Files
        Klaus Munkholm

Comment

ok!

i followed directions but ran into more problems.
          attached is a new model with one ref plane and one ref line, locked to the plane and when flexed, the angle and distance is working. however, once i add the angle parameter, the ref line no longer is able to flex the same way as when the parameter is applied.
          i think that when i added the parameter, the given distance of the reference line became permanent. in reality, i don't want this, because it is the horizontal distance between reference planes (or metal supports) that will determine the depth of the ref line (glass wedge). the distance of the ref line should be a variable in order to relate to this dimension.
          additionally, the reference plane should always begin at the intersection of reference planes at the bottom right, another problem that arose when applying parameters.
          hopefully what i'm saying makes sense. i'm wondering if this model is easily made or if it requires more complicated formulas and parameters?

thanks,
          tweg
          Attached Files

Comment

Believe that you´ll have to use some trig to accomplish this, see this thread: http://revitforum.org/showthread.php...day-quot-usage
            Klaus Munkholm

Comment

wow, trig? ok, i think i figured it out. i used a formula to calculate the length of the hypotenuse "c" = b/cos(A).
              this made the movement of the ref line work. in order to proceed, do i need to use more ref lines to set up the extrusion of the glass wedge? i tried to make the extrusion work by locking it to the ref line, but it still isn't working. updated model attached.

this is really proving to be a learning exercise!

thanks!
              tweg
              Attached Files

Comment

Tweg, glas that you´re having a learning experience, that really makes it worthwhile to help

Seems like you have the "skeleton" working now, so you just need to create the geometry, and lock it to the "skeleton". Basically, you could just create the extrusion by picking the ref. lines and planes already in place. In the attached, I´ve picked and locked the ends to the ref. planes, and I´ve picked the ref. line with a 2" offset to each side, and added a locked dimension from the extrusion sketch to the ref. line.

Hope this will help you further along the way :beer:
                Attached Files
                Klaus Munkholm

Comment

thanks for your help with this problem by the way! i ended up getting it. now i'll know where to look when i have to rembember how to do this again!

Comment