Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extrusion & Sweeps - Has something changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extrusion & Sweeps - Has something changed?

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or if Revit has changed in the last few years. When creating extrusions and sweeps in sketch mode, I remember being able to enter offset values using pick lines and selecting existing reference planes. When a parameter value that flexed these ref planes was changed, the extrusion or sweep flexed as well. I've just been repeating the same behaviour in 2018.2 and the extrusions and sweeps I create refuse to move when changing the parameter. I'm almost certain I was told on here that about this behaviour, yet it doesn't seem to work any more

Originally posted by BLothian View Post
    I'm almost certain I was told on here that about this behaviour, yet it doesn't seem to work any more
    I just found the thread, https://www.revitforum.org/architect...ow-family.html

Has anyone found the same experience I am now getting?

Comment

I can use a pick line with an offset but I dont believe I can lock the offset value. However I can constrain my sketch using dimensions in the sketch mode and lock them. But lock automatically while using an offset I dont believe so. Without an offset yes I can constrain to the picked line automatically.

Comment

That's the thing, you never had to lock any value, there was this non-visible link where the offset value you entered was stored internally. I remember last doing it with 2014 but it seems this behaviour is no longer permitted and I now have to add dimensions to a ref plane in the sketch. In my view this is a quite disappointing change from Autodesk as it was a really elegant method to use when creating multiple extrusions and sweeps, all relative to a single ref plane, all of which moved whenever the ref plane was flexed whereas now you either add a whole lot more ref planes or dimension and lock in sketch mode :banghead:.
        Last edited by BLothian; November 29, 2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I never replied on automatic constraints in any way, even when they seemed to flex automatically. It was never "assured" they would work reliably.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
          Director
          Parallax Team, Inc.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I would prefer no automatic constraints whatsoever. If i want something constrained i can lock it myself. Weird stuff happens with auto constraints that sometimes takes longer to figure out.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
              I would prefer no automatic constraints whatsoever. If i want something constrained i can lock it myself. Weird stuff happens with auto constraints that sometimes takes longer to figure out.
              I agree. Revit is terrible at reading my mind, and I spend extra time making sure there aren't automatic references.
              Julie Kidder
              Architect + BIM Director
              Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

I never experienced any problems with them but I guess its likely they would confuse many people, as they did me at first. I'd have liked it was left as user toggle hidden away the options (default set to Off) for those who do want to automatic constraints but I'll just have to get used to busier looking families in the editor.

Comment

It's not a matter of user confusion: automatic constraints are also autonatically lower priority Tha. Real constraints. So, as I typically have more than one thing moving in more than one direction, they are a really bad idea all around. Because one of them can (and will) "let go" if the line has a relationship to something ELSE other than the original picked line.

I've never EVER built a family that relied on automatic sketch constraints.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
                  Director
                  Parallax Team, Inc.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

I've never EVER built a family that relied on automatic sketch constraints.
                    holy words!!!! Hallelujah!!!
                    "-Bueno, pues ahora que los dos nos hemos visto el uno al otro -repuso el
                    unicornio-si tu crees en mi, yo creeré en tí, ¿trato hecho?"
                    Lewis Carroll

Comment