Perforated metal panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perforated metal panels

I have a project where we'd like to use perforated metal panels but whenever we try to model the perforations correctly the sheer number of holes bogs the project down. Normally I'd just use a material but no... this time having the holes so the shadows are rendered correctly is what's needed.

Is there any particular trick to make this work better? Our panels are 2' x 18' with 1/2" holes every 1 1/2" o.c.

What we'd really like is to use a material if there is a way to do it and get properly rendered shadows.
    ​My ID was stolen. Now I'm only called Dav

Do you want the holes just to be rendered, or should they be there in a shaded view as well?
    For renderings you can edit the material and add a cutout.

One thing that might help, if you want the holes to show up all the time, is create a panel that has them just at the fine Detail Level and not at the coarse or medium Detail Level. This way they will not bother you most of the time when modeling in Medium.
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

We want them to render correctly, cast shadows, etc. Once the client is properly impressed we're going to swap out the family for one that doesn't have the holes in it. Until then, we need them there

Comment

What have you been doing previously? An array of holes, one big void extrusion modeling every hole?
        Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
        Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Have you tried a divided surface?
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I've previously modeled it with every hole as part of the extrusion.

Comment

More on this in a bit. Jumping on a conference call...
              Attached Files
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Since this is viz. exercise I'd be inclined to push it out to another program.

Comment

You can do it by modeling as a window in lieu of model all the window components you just need to model you panel with the perforations, hth
                  Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
                  Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
                  "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
                  E.A Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    More on this in a bit. Jumping on a conference call...
                    From the thumbnail should I assume nested voids work the best?

Comment