schedules and sorting information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

schedules and sorting information

I have been racking my brain to come up with a method to bring in all the finishes in a project into one schedule and sort them by type of finish (floor, wall, base, etc.). From my 4 months of learning Revit i have only come across one example that does this but the information was limited since it appeared to be just a tutorial for a company and not for public consumption.

I created a generic model, text type, identity data group, instance Project Parameter and i can see it attached to the family, I typed "Wall" for the parameter field, but when i go to the material schedule the parameter is blank. I also created a similar one but as an instance, filled out "Wall" for its field and it still is blank in the schedule.

I don't understand how this. Mark field shows information. Manufacturer field shows the information, but custom fields do not.

Sorry if my information is scattered. My brain is overworked on this but im consumed with making this work somehow.

Michael

Something about parametre made in a family has to be shared parameter to show up in schedules?

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vester85 View Post
      Something about parametre made in a family has to be shared parameter to show up in schedules?

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk
      Yes. Go to Manage > Shared Parameters . Create your parameter. Go to your family and add a new parameter from Shared Parameters. Populate the job with instances of the family. Create a schedule. Go to Fields. If the new parameter isn't available in the list (need program restart, I think), add a parameter and use your shared parameter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Steve did a decent job explaining when you need a shared parameter: Shared vs Project Parameters for Schedules
        Somehow I get the feeling the OP issue is not about Shared Parameters, any project parameter should show up in a schedule just fine.

Michael, did you sort the schedule? and did you also sort it by the project parameter? Do the values show up when you show every instance (bottom of the sorting tab)?
        There must be a better way...

Ekko Nap
        Professional nitpicker, architect, revit consultant, etc.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. So I did get it to work without a shared parameter, but still don't understand why it works now and didn't before. I do know the example did use a shared parameter. I don't know if this is the reason it worked like i was hoping because their version displayed a filled schedule without painting them onto walls and floors. I realize now that most of my issue was due to unapplied materials. I still had the issue of the header not showing up and the filter wasn't working the way i thought it should, but some of this was fixed by categorizing my 2 project parameters categorized as Generic to Material. This could be just a coincidence and not the reason it worked. The best way i came to filter my materials was to condition the Mark parameters must be greater than a " "(empty field). My other filter condition i took from the example schedule (which eventually i realized was a shared parameter) didn't work.

Ekko, Previously i had sorted the schedule. I had sorted in 3 levels with the 2nd level using the Header Name parameter and i checked header. Unless i am misunderstanding the actual issue was, and i resolved an issue by mistake, it seems as though i couldn't mix generic and material categories.

Comment

Originally posted by mschirmer View Post
            Ekko, Previously i had sorted the schedule. I had sorted in 3 levels with the 2nd level using the Header Name parameter and i checked header. Unless i am misunderstanding the actual issue was, and i resolved an issue by mistake, it seems as though i couldn't mix generic and material categories.
            Did you itimize every instance? The number one reason for stuff not showing up is when grouped instances have different values, resulting in a blank field in your schedule.

Post your schedule, perhaps after copying it to an otherwise empty project file, and we may be able to find what is going on.
            There must be a better way...

Ekko Nap
            Professional nitpicker, architect, revit consultant, etc.

Comment