Shape handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shape handles

When this hood is inserted into a project, there are unwanted shape handles and I am wondering how to get rid of them. It appears they are coming from nested components. The workflow I used is optional components are based off the main centerlines of the family and the lengths are derived by formulas. I have locked one side of each component to a "offset" ref plane. The widths are part of the type, so I am not sure why this is not constrained. Would you smart guys mind taking a peek? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

http://www.captiveaire.com/
    Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems

Can't take a look atm, laptop is being wiped during vacation, but shape handles should show up if you have instance parameters between strong Refplanes. Set the workplanes to not a reference in the properties and the shape handles should be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_CaS View Post
      When this hood is inserted into a project, there are unwanted shape handles and I am wondering how to get rid of them....
      Do you want the end user to be able to stretch the dimensions of this family in the project by dragging pull handles? If yes, your length parameters should be instance. If not, then they should be type parameters. Right now, most of the local length parameters in this family are instance. You can tell which ones are instance by the "(default)" suffix.
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

You can have instance parameters. But then you need to set the refplanes inn the family to "Not a reference". This will force your users to actually type the parameter values in the properties. You can't align to them either though. Only to the visible geometry
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mdradvies; August 31, 2011, 10:30 PM. Reason: added attachment
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Oh ok, so they are not coming from the nested components, but rather from the instance params in the parent. Thanks Alf

I appreciate the time you took to modify the family Martijn. I would need the ability to align to them, so I dont think this is the right fix for this situation. Would you mind elaborating on when you would use this method?

Comment

Well, you can align them. Just only to visible geometry, not to refplanes defining elements that are not visible. If this is a problem you can also add a symbolic line and use that to align.

When to use this method? Well, a few options are:
            - You want to use Instance Parameters, but NOT have the shapen handles
            - You need refplanes to setup geometry which you don't want to be able to align to at all. For instance when you have a glass door with the glass separated in different parts. I always use refplanes to define the placement of the glass rods. I don't want to be able to align to these refplanes.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thank you for the explanation Matrijn. Since this family is static I could get away using the method Alf described, but since these hoods can have diff configs for the same size hood I think I will use your method to keep control. Great tips!

Comment