Shared annotations in a model family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared annotations in a model family

My Ceiling Light families contain a different Generic Annotation symbol each.

20170804-DownlightLegend.JPG

To change or swap these I need to edit the appropriate family. I thought it would be an idea to make the annotations Shared so I could put them on a <Family Type> parameter. However it appears that Shared annotations cannot be loaded into another family.

20170804-LoadAnnotationFamilyError.JPG

Are there any alternative approaches to allow swapping out of symbols from within the project environment?

Thanking you.

If I load my shared annotations directly into the project, then they are available in my <Family Type> parameter in the light fitting family, however they do not show.
    (The light fitting shows but not the shared annotation. Swap it back to the not-shared annotation and it is visible again.)

As far as I can see my Visibility options are not affecting this.

Comment

Make sure the actual <family type> parameter is a shared parameter as well as the family being shared
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Thanks for the input. Interesting idea.

Added a new Shared Parameter to our file; added it to the family; and associated the Generic Anno to this param. But the symbol still disappears when I swap out to it in the project environment. (And the unshared anno shows again when I change back to it.)

Is this the method you use and it works?

Comment

Can you upload the family?
          There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

this is not the tidiest solution but if those all those ceiling fans were separate families (not types within a single family), you could stack them on top of each other in the Ceiling Light Family and control their visibility by type

or there may be a way to use that same visibility approach with a single generic annotation family with different types
            Last edited by billiam; August 11, 2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
              Can you upload the family?
              Thank you for the offer.

Thanks also, billiam.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by anthonyB; August 16, 2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

also just as an additional thing
                if it is a one off option (ie If Downlighting A, it can not be any of the other choices) then you can add a parameter to the formula section of each of those "downlight option" yes/no parameters of

Downlight A = not (or(Downlight B, Downlight C, Downlight D, Downlight E, Downlight F))
                Downlight B = not (or(Downlight A, Downlight C, Downlight D, Downlight E, Downlight F))

etc.

This means when you toggle each option it will not allow the user to have multiple options toggled.

I think this syntax is ok, might need to add in a new "or" conditional with a new bracket for each case but I think as shown should be ok.
                Last edited by Karalon10; August 16, 2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalon10 View Post
                  downlight A = no (o (downlight B, downlight C, downlight D, downlight E, downlight F))
                  downlight B = no (o (downlight A, downlight C, downlight D, downlight E , Downlight F))
                  It seems to me that Revit is not going to accept these formulas

Attached Files
                  Last edited by DaveP; August 16, 2017, 02:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
                  "-Bueno, pues ahora que los dos nos hemos visto el uno al otro -repuso el
                  unicornio-si tu crees en mi, yo creeré en tí, ¿trato hecho?"
                  Lewis Carroll

Comment

did you copy the entire line in to the formula?
                    You should not include the "donwlight A =" part at the start of the formula that I showed.

just this part
                    not (or(Downlight B, Downlight C, Downlight D, Downlight E, Downlight F))

and put that in the Downlight A paramater formula box.
                    If you include the first part of it you will get the circular chain of reference problem for sure.

Comment