Family Bounding Box issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Bounding Box issue

Thanks in advance for everyone's input! The issue I'm having was brought fourth to me yesterday evening and this morning I've found the issue resides in multiple families I've personally created. So the issue, when this family is brought into the project environment and moved using the move command (not just dragging the family) the bounding box stretches. We are having this same issue with some other families which have multiple nested families. I've done some "cleansing" of the attached family (removed all parameters and "non origin defining" reference planes from the host family) with hopes that I'd be able to expose the issue but haven't had any luck. I'm going to dig into the nested components after this post but figured someone might have some input before I spin my wheels too much with those.
    Again, thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

So I've narrowed the issue down to something with the nested "standard faucet" family. My process for honing in on this was to delete one nested family, at a time, out of the host and reload into project. As soon as I delete the standard faucet, the bounding box stays "bound". The oddity with this is that when I load the standard faucet family into my project and move with the move command, the bounding box acts as it should. I'm unsure where the disconnect is happening when nesting the standard faucet...
    Thanks again in advance

Comment

Is this stumping everyone or has no one had a chance to look into this? I've actually found the same issue in (2) other families now and am not able to figure out what is causing this. PLEASE HELP!!! :banghead:

Comment

Are there Connectors in the nested family? ive encountered something similar (but slightly different) with Generic Model Headwalls that has Shared NEsted Electrical Fixtures with Connectors, in them. The Bounding Boxes freaked out when they were grouped and mirrored.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

This sounds like a problem I have had before.
          Check if any of the nested (Shared?) families have connectors. Its the connectors that stay in the same place they where first added.
          Nested families without connectors shouldnt cause this.

edit: Ah just too late!
          Its a real shame connectors on shared families dont work. It would open up a whole load of possibilities for modular Furniture/MEP families that could be easily connected into piping/duct/electrical systems. You can select a nested shared family with TAB but if you try to do Connect Into the pipe shoots off to the first place the family was ever placed....
          Last edited by josephpeel; July 20, 2017, 05:23 PM.
          "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

You guys are both spot on...I was actually just jumping back in here to post my results. There were connectors in that "standard faucet" that were creating the issue. Unbelievable that this limitation hasn't been resolved yet. I was doing some digging last night to try and figure out why my nested connectors wouldn't show in the host family and determined that I just needed to add the connectors back to the host (unknowingly that leaving those nested connectors was going to be a thorn in my side). Yeah so nesting shared plumbing fixtures seems like a really good idea but obviously not... How do you guys handle stuff like this then? Just keep your plumbing fixtures separate?

Comment