Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut a complex host family with a nested family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut a complex host family with a nested family?

Modelling a rectangular plate with bevelled edges. Used two stacked extrusions as layers - a simple extrusion for the base and blend for the bevel. Side question - could I have done this more simply as a single blend? Want a framed opening in the plate. Made a face-based nested family with a frame and a void extrusion to cut the host plate. This is tricky - the void has to cut the sample face using cut geometry, but it works. The problem is, it only cuts one extrusion layer in the host. How do I cut the second layer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would using a single sweep (profile shaped in section) around the perimeter work? No voids needed.

Edit.. well that would work for a rectangular void...if youre trying to get unquely shaped holes (like bolt holes) trying jhoining your two solid layers first. Otherwise place a d uplicate void on the lower layer and cut again...or nest the joined geometry plate and the void separately into a host family and it should cut it as one

Maybe some images would help
    Last edited by elton williams; July 20, 2017, 05:04 AM.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
      Would using a single sweep (profile shaped in section) around the perimeter work? No voids needed.

Edit.. well that would work for a rectangular void...if youre trying to get unquely shaped holes (like bolt holes) trying jhoining your two solid layers first. Otherwise place a d uplicate void on the lower layer and cut again...or nest the joined geometry plate and the void separately into a host family and it should cut it as one

Maybe some images would help
      Elton, you understand the situation correctly without pictures. I made a single rectangular solid and made a void sweep of the bevel. Worked perfectly. However, when I reinserted the frame (cutting family), it has stopped cutting.:banghead:

Since the frame family is (supposed to be) cutting the plate family and they do nest into yet another family, I'll try your idea of doing the cutting there.

Comment

I tried Elton's approach. It worked great, thank you. It's a bit tricky because the orientation of the host family matters. In this case, specialty equipment. Front is down on the page. The frame has to go in from the front. My frame has elements in the back, so they had to be installed inside the "wall" of the face-based nested family, then the void cut into the wall to expose them.
        However, in the end, I found that the void extrusion's visibility can't be toggled, even if it's inside a nested family. Can't toggle the family properly, i.e, frame on/off.

Comment