Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water tank length ref planes query

Hi all,
    I'm creating a rainwater tank to essentially fit under eaves. Height, depth, length are all instance parameters. I have also set up a volume report by calculating the straight face length volume then adding the volume of the two ends.
    I have had to use the straight face length to drive the length, as I can't work out how to drive the length from the centre of the arc..Got me a bit beat.
    Is there a way to drive the overall length of this from the very ends of the arcs at the ends?
    tank ref planes query.JPG
    FYI, the tank is a vertical extrusion of 2mm thick, with a 2mm base and top and the top has a void cut into it for the entry.
    Last edited by biff; July 5, 2017, 01:16 AM.
    Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Keep as is but put 2 more ref planes in for the overall length with a parameter (say, "Length") ready for the user to input (with an equal/equal as you have done for Straight Face Length). Nothing needs to be locked onto these new refplanes
    Then put a formula into the "Straight Face Length" parameter = Length - Depth

So basically what you are doing is saying the components are driven off the "Straight Face Length" parameter, which is driven off the user inputted "Length" parameter (if that makes sense!)
    Last edited by Alex Page; July 5, 2017, 02:38 AM.
    Alex Page
    RevitWorks Ltd
    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Thank you Alex, I will give it a try.

I'm guessing by your reply, that there is no way to actually constrain and control the apex of the arcs, and therefore the whole extrusion length by driving the arc points less or more.
      I had thought of ref lines, constrained to 1/2 way across depth for the arc apexs to lock to. Didn't try, don't know if that would work. Probably not. But everything I thought of seemed a silly amount of work just to do a simple thing.
      Yours is a simple clean solution.

Comment

Alex,
        Are you or someone else able to glance your eye over this volume formula? It seems kosher. I think I have the syntax downpat, but I'm no formula guru. Obviously the volume would be to outside face, but with 2mm walls, I'm not fussed with that.
        tank formula.JPG

Comment

Just a quick aside, are you able to substitute the arc'd ends for half ellipses? It'd allow easier control of dimensions as you can align-lock the axis points.
          Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
          Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Or just draw half the profile, with very short straight lines at the ends and the type of curve that always makes a tangent between two lines. Then rotate to get the cylinder.
            Or is it an extrusion with flat ends and rounded sides? Like an oval duct
            Edit: Oh I see, thought you where making a 'gas bottle' sort of cylinder with rounded ends. Using straight lines and tangents might still be more controlable.
            Last edited by josephpeel; July 5, 2017, 03:11 PM.
            "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Is it the first or the second?
              Attached Files
              "-Bueno, pues ahora que los dos nos hemos visto el uno al otro -repuso el
              unicornio-si tu crees en mi, yo creeré en tí, ¿trato hecho?"
              Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by biff View Post
                Alex,
                Are you or someone else able to glance your eye over this volume formula? It seems kosher. I think I have the syntax downpat, but I'm no formula guru. Obviously the volume would be to outside face, but with 2mm walls, I'm not fussed with that.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]30779[/ATTACH]
                Looks good to me, but why not subtract the 2mm walls?

=(pi()((radius-2mm)^2)*Height-4mm + (straight face length*(Depth - 4mm) * (height-4mm))

or even better - make the wall thickness a parameter

=(pi()((radius-wall thickness)^2)*Height-(wall thickness*2) + (straight face length*(Depth - wall thickness*2) * (height-wall thickness*2))
                Last edited by Alex Page; July 5, 2017, 09:20 PM.
                Alex Page
                RevitWorks Ltd
                Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Its the first duende. The other way i did this once was sweeping a ribbed profile vertically.
                  Thanks andrew, i will see if that works.
                  And alex, thanks. If i did that i would put in the actual metal thickness, not my modelled thickness. Good to know i got the formula right. Reminds me of an old book i have 'fortunes in formulas', but thats more to do with tanning leather and making concoctions with lots of old chemicals you used to get from the local dispensary, a boomer of a book.
                  Last edited by biff; July 5, 2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment