Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic shaped families - best practices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic shaped families - best practices?

Let's say you need to model a family, a chair for example, that has a pretty organic shape. How would you approach it:

1. Use standard Revit Family massing tools (extrusions, sweep blends etc) to achieve the shape as close as possible to the desired one?
    2. Use some 3D modelling software (Rhino) and then import that component into family?
    3. Your own solution (please specify)

I personally try to stick to option no 1 and keep it native rather, even at the cost of accuracy in 3D Visuals, rather than going super accurate with external software at the cost of incompatibility, issues with materials etc?

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a way to kill 2 birds with one stone?

RPC or careful, selective modeling in the standard family editor. It's just a chair, after all.
    Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
    Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Sorry, what "RPC" stands for?

PS. Yes and no, to you or me it's just a chair, to some of my clients it is the BIM representation of their product, of their business, of their valuer. So can't really use "it's just a chair" approach in this case

Comment

Originally posted by paidpal View Post
        Sorry, what "RPC" stands for?

PS. Yes and no, to you or me it's just a chair, to some of my clients it is the BIM representation of their product, of their business, of their valuer. So can't really use "it's just a chair" approach in this case
        Hi, RPC Stands for: Rich photo-realistic Content, more or lees like the people or threes we found in Revit, regards
        Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
        Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
        "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
        E.A Poe

Comment

Hi paidpal; To respond to your original question, to model my family content I use the standard Revit family massing tools, it takes me sometime to figure it out in much cases but when the family is ready to use the control in the Revit environment is better IMO; I have had a lot of issues when importing geometries from other software in much cases related to visualization. Regards
          E.A Poe

Comment

Thank you, I also always used standard revit tools for that. Don't have 3D modelling software and didn't feel like learning it from the scratch, and wanted to figure out whether it's worth. Sounds like it isn't, and glad to hear that!

Just one more question Andres - by "standard Revit Family massing tools" you mean extrusions, sweeps etc in "family" template, not a "conceptual mass" tools? Or combination of both?

Comment

Hi paidpal, Yes I use only extrusions, sweeps and so on which are included in "family" templates, I use the conceptual mass tool to model building shapes only but I think one can found more uses to those tools, I guess is a good idea to try to use those tools to create families I'm not sure how :crazy: , I think it can be helpful, regards
              E.A Poe

Comment