Family Color change with Yes/No check box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Color change with Yes/No check box

I'm trying to create a builderwork family which changes from Red to Green depending on if the builderswork has been approved (With a Yes/No check box). I have the two Material Parameters set up but can't figure out the IF statement to control the material.

Is this even possible? It needs to be controlled with one tick box only and not different family types (preferably with no nested geometry).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Materials are very annoying as they don't seem to accept any formula. I have a similar issue where I want to change materials based on on user input to another field, and am contemplating loading two instances of the family, one with each color, then using visibility formula to switch them (it would require extra checkboxes, but only one the user would have to interact with.
    Julie Kidder
    Architect + BIM Director
    Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment

Originally posted by mardon85 View Post
      I'm trying to create a builderwork family which changes from Red to Green depending on if the builderswork has been approved (With a Yes/No check box). I have the two Material Parameters set up but can't figure out the IF statement to control the material.

Is this even possible? It needs to be controlled with one tick box only and not different family types (preferably with no nested geometry).

Thanks in advance for any help.
      Why not just do this with a filter in your view that reads the checkbox and changed the color? Much simpler.

I think you CAN put a formula in a material now (I thought), but you have to use material PARAMETERS (Not materials themselves) in the formula...

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
      Director
      Parallax Team, Inc.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        Why not just do this with a filter in your view that reads the checkbox and changed the color? Much simpler.

I think you CAN put a formula in a material now (I thought), but you have to use material PARAMETERS (Not materials themselves) in the formula...

Aaron Maller
        Director
        Parallax Team, Inc.
        Filters would work well for OP's issue, but not more detailed (parts of an element changing).

For example, we're using 3d views a lot now, and we need to be able to show hm doors painted different colors on either side. Since the same door family could also represent a wood or AL door that looks the same on both sides I was hoping to have 3 material parameters, a "core" material, and one for each side. If a "Painted" checkbox was ticked I wanted the door to display the side colors, and if it was unchecked display the core color so two parameters didn't need to managed when they weren't applicable.

You can't use formulas for materials, even in 2018, it generates the error "This parameter type cannot be defined by formulas" if you try to put anything in the formula box. I was hoping it would work like <family> type parameters where it can be set equal to other <family type> parameters and use logical expressions.
        Julie Kidder
        Architect + BIM Director

Comment

I'll have to go back and look at the formula thing I was referencing. But I know there is some way to achieve it.

Having said that, you don't even need checkboxes for what you want to do with the doors. If you make them material parameter assign to the geometry a base material, and then you paint a finish material on each side of the door, if the paint material isn't used and is set to by category it will show the base material.

No checkbox needed.

Aaron Maller
          Director
          Parallax Team, Inc.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

I'd be interested in a formula method.

Your other method does work, which I was surprised about - I thought that if nothing was assigned to a paint layer it would default to <By Category>, which would be the "Default" material unless otherwise specified. I'd still like prefer a formula to swap the paint parameter to <By Category> without the user haveing to type/copy/or open the material dialog to select it.
            Julie Kidder
            Architect + BIM Director

Comment

I think the other thing people don't know is that you can type in the material name in a material parameter with out having to go to the materials dialog. For instance if it says "<By Category>" and you want P-1 simply type P-1 (assuming that material exists) then you don't have to wait for the material dialog box to open.

I do it the same way Maller does, paint a material parameter in the family over the extrusion and if not assigned the extrusion material comes through, if assigned it goes over the extrusion.
              Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
              www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
              @Twitter

Comment

I do type the parameters as much as I can (or copy/paste), and it's definitely a benefit if you have good naming standards. I think I figured out that it was possible by accident early on, and was surprised when I came across a coworker that didn't know recently.

The trick with how painting works is probably another hidden gem, since it's not something I came across when searching for a solution when I first pondered the issue.
                Julie Kidder
                Architect + BIM Director

Comment

I wanted to go with a texture over a filter as the builder work will also show up Green or Red in Navisworks when at Clash detection meetings.
                  I ended up solving it with two alternate check boxes controlling the visibility of duplicated builder work indicators, one red and one green.

It is working quite nicely. I can export the builderwork workset to an NWC and then clash detect against walls and structure. Once the relevant teams cast in the actual voids it is a good way of ensuring all builderwork is captured.

Comment

See, i would want that as a search set in Navisworks anyway, so they can dynamically select all of them.

Comment