Revit SAT files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit SAT files

I use MoI3d for some quick modeling and most of the times for mass modeling. Then I export to SAT and import to Revit. It looks clean and it is really fast that way...
    However, there is a problem.
    Let's say that I make a desk in Moi3D... Then I have wood, metal and glass objects. I export to SAT using different styles, that makes a SAT with 3 materials, 3 objects, 3 layers... no matter what we call it...
    If I re-import in Moi, I see everything as it should, the objects are separated.
    Revit, ignores all these and imports just one object, no way to assign materials except from the Objects Style dialog.
    I should have known that Adesk has again problems with importing other formats

I also tested with exporting to SAT from Revit, I get separated objects but all look the same...
    But when I re-import, I get one object again.

As a workaround, I export each "group" of objects as a SAT and I re-combine them in Revit... I don't want to create families because these are furniture from IKEA so there is no reason for parameters.... We know the dimensions and they don't change...

So, my question is if it is possible to make Revit read the SAT files correctly... I think I know the answer but I have to ask!
    Last edited by JTB; August 30, 2011, 03:08 PM.
    Revit Architecture - 3ds MAX Design - Octane Render - and many working hours...

any other export format?
    Julien
    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
    P. DAC
    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Available formats to export from Moi3D
      IGES
      SAT
      STEP
      OBJ
      STL
      3DS
      LWO
      FBX
      SKP

Comment

I think you can do it, when you import the sat file in Autocad first. Autocad should be aware of the layers and colors.
        Then you can import the Autocad file containing the sat from MoI3D in Revit and the layers should be preserved.
        I made some Duravit solid plumbing furnitures this way some time ago.

-rpict

Comment

Yes, I guess it is the only way...but I really don't like having DWGs in Revit... they also don't look good...SAT looks great.

Correction... I tried with ACAD and nothing.... ACAD doesn't recognize layers, colors etc... the only difference is that I have separate objects...
          I think my workaround is better, I can assign materials directly in Revit... Not in family editor but directly in a project

So, I guess for now the only way is this...

1. Export from Moi3D to SAT. If we want many materials we split to as many SAT files as the Moi styles.
          2. In a Revit project, not family editor, we re-combine the SAT files to one, this is not so difficult, sometimes it is easy to use reference objects that we can later delete.
          3. Using Object styles we can assign materials.
          4. Then we can make a group using all these SAT files, export to a file and then we can insert this as a group to all our projects...

The attached image shows some SAT (libraries, bed, desks)... Notice that there are no silly edges of the faces, like dwg model.
          Attached Files

Comment

I get why you would use SAT for very complex geometry, like sinks and toilets, but the objects you show in the above post are very simple to build in a matter of minutes as native Revit geometry... So why even bother importing?
            Klaus Munkholm
            "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Especially when they don't have to be parametric...
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

This is just an example, I was playing with Moi3D because I want to learn nurbs modeling... I know that this is really easy to do with Revit... and it is a matter of seconds with Moi...

Comment

Originally posted by JTB View Post
                  Yes, I guess it is the only way...but I really don't like having DWGs in Revit... they also don't look good...SAT looks great.
                  You understood me wrong, or I was not clear enough.

The dwg acts like a container for the sat file. What finally arrives in Revit is the pure solid geometry, no meshes.
                  As a benefit you can assign appropriate layers and colors to the sat objects in acad.

BTW: why you model in MoI and not in Revit?

-rpict

Comment

So, what you suggest is go to ACAD, import SAT, make layers etc... and then export to SAT?
                    Because I just tried that and Revit sais that there are objects that can't be imported and that I have to convert them to polymeshes.

I like Moi3d a lot, it is easy and really fast especially for simple things... Actually I want to practice with Moi... I can do these in Revit too...

Comment