X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chossing the right template, face based or floor based template

Choosing the right template. Face based template over floor based template
    Hello All,

I have been creating Revit families for my sister companies from some time now. we used to create channel family with grates included in the same family. Since the channels are always placed on the floor, we created all the channels as floor-based template. But recently we got some feedback from the customers that, they prefer face-based template over the floor based one. I'm aware that when we chose face-based template we can place on any face. But in our case, there is no chance of placing the channels on a wall or a ceiling. It will be always placed on a floor. So why does people still prefer face-based over floor based?
    Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Please share your thoughts.
    Last edited by sabari2504; April 11, 2017, 09:40 AM.

Originally posted by sabari2504 View Post
    Choosing the right template. Face based template over floor based template
    Hello All,

I have been creating Revit families for my sister companies from some time now. we used to create channel family with grates included in the same family. Since the channels are always placed on the floor, we created all the channels as floor-based template. But recently we got some feedback from the customers that, they prefer face-based template over the floor based one. I'm aware that when we chose face-based template we can place on any face. But in our case, there is no chance of placing the channels on a wall or a ceiling. It will be always placed on a floor. So why does people still prefer face-based over floor based?
    Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Please share your thoughts.

Will it always be placed on a floor category element? Plenty of people substitute other categories like roofs or ramps for floor elements.

Face based when necessary here, precisely bc they can go on any planar face.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Hello Elton,

Many thanks for your reply.

Channels are placed on the pavement or ground. Do you have any idea, why people sometimes chose ramp or roof to create pavement or ground?
      Last edited by sabari2504; April 11, 2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Because they work better than floors. Or because the floors are in linked files.

You should basically never use the floor based family template, unless your family needs to know the THICKNESS of the floor. Otherwise you should always use face based or unhosted.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

You should basically never use the floor based family template, unless your family needs to know the THICKNESS of the floor. Otherwise you should always use face based or unhosted.
          But why are those the only correct templates?
          -we use a lot of equipment and furniture which would be logical to only place on floors in upright position, and some which would be logical to only be wallbased... I know some types of equipnent have issues with not reacting to cutplanes, but what makes facebased and unhosted better?

Does floors in linked files behave differently than the current project floors?
          Last edited by Peter Pedersen; April 19, 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, you won't be able to use the floor elements from a linked file unless you copied them in directly to your model.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Pedersen View Post
              But why are those the only correct templates?
              -we use a lot of equipment and furniture which would be logical to only place on floors in upright position, and some which would be logical to only be wallbased... I know some types of equipnent have issues with not reacting to cutplanes, but what makes facebased and unhosted better?

Does floors in linked files behave differently than the current project floors?

Thank you for clearing that up Flayre, -so linking removes the intelligent intentions of basing families on other element types, than faces. -Very nice to know! Aside from that obvious party stopper, are there other issues we should know - It would be good to know, before making too many useless families, please.

Kind regards,
              Peter

Comment