Shelving Array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelving Array

I know I"ve dealt with this before, but I thought I'd try a different tack this time.
    I'm placing Shelving in a Cabinet family.
    What I'd like to do is to use an Array with the "Last" option (as opposed to "2nd")
    The problem with that is the first and last elements in the array end up inside the box of the cabinet and should be hidden,
    I only want to see the shelves in the middle.
    But since the Array Groups the shelves, I can't use an Instance Visibility. It's all or nothing.
    ShelfArray.PNG
    Any ideas?
    Other than the usual stupid "One case for a single shelf, another for two and an Array for 3 or more"?
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

no.. other than I don't use the "another for two" workflow -- one for single and an array for everything else (unless the ends need to be different.
    Greg McDowell Jr
    about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
      I know I"ve dealt with this before, but I thought I'd try a different tack this time.
      I'm placing Shelving in a Cabinet family.
      What I'd like to do is to use an Array with the "Last" option (as opposed to "2nd")
      The problem with that is the first and last elements in the array end up inside the box of the cabinet and should be hidden,
      I only want to see the shelves in the middle.
      But since the Array Groups the shelves, I can't use an Instance Visibility. It's all or nothing.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]29758[/ATTACH]
      Any ideas?
      Other than the usual stupid "One case for a single shelf, another for two and an Array for 3 or more"?
      Why do you not want a parameter defining the offset from top & bottom?
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Chad, I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.
        I was just hoping I could let the Array do all the work for me. Match is hard!
        And, if I could hide the ends, I wouldn't have to set up the "just one" foolishness.
        You're right Greg, I don't need a separate set to "just two." I was thinking of a window with mullions where you have two panes, but one mullion.

Mostly, I guess I'm just complaining (again) about not being able to use 0 or 1 as an Array count. That would make things SO much simpler.
        Dave Plumb

Comment

If you don't need to schedule the shelves themselves, just the number count, you can use a 'next' array. Using an array of 1 will just require you to specify that the second array element is spaced at 0 so they overlap.

Want to note that I generally do not use this method, but it is possible to avoid the 'use a single element for 1, use an array for more than 1' method.
          Attached Files
          Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
          Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew K View Post
            If you don't need to schedule the shelves themselves, just the number count, you can use a 'next' array. Using an array of 1 will just require you to specify that the second array element is spaced at 0 so they overlap.

Want to note that I generally do not use this method, but it is possible to avoid the 'use a single element for 1, use an array for more than 1' method.
            Off the cuff and Not tested but the math in concept believe works

Total height / (shelf count+1) = spacing
            Begin offset = spacing
            End offset = spacing

Constrain between bottom and first ref plane = begin offset
            Constrain between top and last ref plane = end offset
            Shelf constrained to first ref plane and arrayed using count to last ref plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mengelmn View Post
              Off the cuff and Not tested but the math in concept believe works

Total height / (shelf count+1) = spacing
              Begin offset = spacing
              End offset = spacing

Constrain between bottom and first ref plane = begin offset
              Constrain between top and last ref plane = end offset
              Shelf constrained to first ref plane and arrayed using count to last ref plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Kinda like what chad was saying

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
              Why do you not want a parameter defining the offset from top & bottom?
              thats what I'd be doing :wine:
              There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

It's done.
                Cubbies.PNG
                But - SO many parameters!
                • Two for Visibiity
                • One for Spacing
                • One for User input
                • One to adjust the array so it can't be 0 or 1

And double that for the vertical dividers
                That's why I was hoping I could just use a "Last" Array - and let the Count be 0 or 1.
                If I could have both of those, the whole thing could be done with one parameter. <sigh>
                Dave Plumb

Comment

I would use a few extra parameters and make the slats individual so they don't cross.

You've already made it this far, might as well make it look sharp in the views.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Using adaptive components it is possible to create arrays with 1 item.
                    They allow you to repeat not just a single element but a pattern of elements along points on a line.
                    So if you place Shelf A and Shelf B then repeat that pattern you can say 'If number of shelves = 1 then array length = 2 but visibility of Shelf B is off'.
                    For 0 you turn off the visibility of both. If they are shared you will get the right count of shelves.

but then you have to use adaptive components....
                    Last edited by josephpeel; March 30, 2017, 11:44 PM.
                    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment